Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:49 AM   #1

I took this shot just after the sun went down last night. To me the flower looks almost fake judging from the hard edge on the left side of the flower. But that is the way it came out. I might have one more shot at this tonight before the bud in the background opens. Any suggestions?

P.S. I feel I will get a better critique in this forum than the Close Up Forum.

Thanks

Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 12:20 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i think you have fell into the trap of shooting straight on... its easy to do thinking just the flowers natural beauty will shine through.. unfortunately much of the beauty comes from the depth and the form of the flower, this gets lost when you shoot straight down at it (hence the hard edge and fake look).. no worries, easily fixed.. (you will have to shoot again though)

start with a 3/4 perspective, so get down close to the level of the flower and shoot at about a 45 degree angle.. this should include enough of the top of the flower so the petals looks great but will also give the shot depth and make it look 3-dimensional.. and fill the frame a little more, so get a little closer.. and then from there just work the flower.. take several shots from varying angles.. then go back to your computer and see which ones you like best... by doing this, you will soon learn what angles work for different flowers and will become much more proficient..

so now you have your homework!! get to work!! (bet you thought you were done with that eh???)

best of luck to ya and i will be looking forward to the results..

------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 7:37 PM   #3

Thanks Dustin,
Just the responce I was hoping for. I learned alot from just your post without taking any more photos. However I did get out and shoot about 25 more. If I got anything worthwhile I will post it.
Thanks Again.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 6:15 AM   #4

After shooting more pictures I really see what you are taking about. There is more to a subject than just a straight on shot. Although not perfect but I think a step in the right direction this photo shows me forms and objects that I had not seen before. Thanks for the insight on angles.

Old Nov 20, 2005, 3:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator

yes, you are definately getting more of the form of it now.. keep experimenting with your angles, as there is always more than 1 way to present the flower and can make completely different shots conveying completely different things..

now that you have some more depth to your shots, you are going to need more depth of field to work with.. do you see how part of the flower is in-focus and part isn't.. you can sometimes use that to your advantage, but many times you will want the whole flower sharp.. to do this you will need to learn to use the Av or A semi-manual mode on your camera.. then you can dial in a larger F-value (i.e. F7.1 instead of F3.5).. this will close down the aperture and will give you more depth of field letting you keep the whole flower sharp.. this will decrease your shutter speeds, so you may need a tripod to keep the picture sharp if the light is less than perfect..

also watch cropping off part of the flower.. you cut off the top here, probably would be a little nice if you had not done so..

but this shot is a definate step in the right direction.. it is much more 3-dimensional and shows off the form much better..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:49 PM   #6

Thanks for being so patient with me Dustin. Another 40+ shots of this same flower this afternoon using your sugggestions. I am begining to like my own photographs. I think the focus is much better now. And you are right, the Tripod is a must You are forcing me away from the "Auto" mode into the dreaded "Manuel" zone which is where I want to be anyway. Now if I can learn to soften the BG without using an editor.

Thanks again

Jim