Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 19, 2005, 9:07 AM   #1

I posted this shot in the wildlife section and got no response. I would like to get some feedback on this shot. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks for looking.

Thanks

Allen
Attached Images

nitroq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:27 AM   #2

I love the side lighting on the duck. The duck detail appears to be blown out in a couple of spots but otherwise pretty good. The duck color is generally pretty good. I like the ripples in the water but I find the bright highlights distracting. Overall, I think this is a pretty nice shot, but not, IMO a great one.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

the highlights in the ripples on the left hand side are a bit distracting.. you have blown a few highlights on the duck, but at least he is white, which is better than grey if you had underexposed.. i think this one is a little too tight on the crop on the bottom.. giving a little more room there would have got the reflection and moved the duck from the bottom 1/5 line, to the more pleasing bottom 1/3 line.. i think the fact that you captured a tame duck versus a wild duck may also account for fewer responses in "wildlife" as you are missing the "wild" part.. hehehe..

----------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 10:32 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I see where I blew the highlights. As for the crop here is the unedited uncropped pic. I shot for the 2/3s which left me no room for error. and in the picture I seen the leaves and didnt like them so I tried to crop. Dustin would the leaves in this shot distract? I thought so that was reason for crop.
Attached Images

nitroq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 2:51 PM   #5
Super Moderator

to be honest the highlights on the water distract more than the leaves.. you could easily clone the leaves as well..

also, it is USUALLY, not always, better to have your subjects looking, swimming, or walking into the frame instead of out of the frame..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote