Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:30 PM   #1

.....someday a cyclamen. comments most welcome.
Attached Images

julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the highlights are a little distracting, both on the budding flower and reflecting off the leaf.. otherwise, i am on the fence about this one.. there is an awful lot of green to flower ratio here.. its not bad, but i think it would be better in a day or so when it starts to open.. maybe you could even take a shot a day and present them in a series, like the flower opening??? might be really cool..

julie,if you are going to continue concentrating on flower shots you should invest in a diffuser.. that way when the sun is high in the sky or directional you can put the diffuser between the sun and your flower and get some very very nice soft diffused light, which will aid in boosting contrast, evening out your exposures and eliminating the harsh highlights and shadows.. would be well worth the investment for you i believe..

-----------
dustin

http://www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:11 PM   #3

thanks for the tip dustin, i did try to subdue the highlights a bit in this one post process but maybe not enough...though i don't know if it would look good if i did too much. i should go the diffuser route as you suggest to avoid the issue...for some other shots i actually hung a white paper towel between light and subject to help, but not* this one....a proper diffuser is in order though . the highlights on the leaf don't bother me but there is that hot spot on the top of the flower base i could see being an issue. thanks for commenting though- you know i do appreciate it.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:29 PM   #4

oh and by the way -"julie if your going to continue concentrating on these flower shots..." LOL! dustin if not the flowers it'll be my kids and puppies...do you really want that?* .
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:32 PM   #5

I think this composition is fantastic...

I hope you dont mind me saying that I normally find flower photography very dull and boring, no matter how colourful or well taken the photograph.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Yours are not boring, quite the contrary

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You have an artistic eye and original thoughts that implys to me that you and photography will work very well together.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 3:44 PM   #6

thank you LBoy, i really appreciate your saying so and that you see something beyond "just a flower shot". photography to me is painting with light and i guess i use flowers for their colors and textures as the paint on my canvas. your comments mean a lot to me.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 6:54 PM   #7

beautifull composition. what if you desaturate a litle the green leaf?
mad_grll is offline   Reply With Quote