Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:25 PM   #11

I like the playground setting just fine BTW.

A less distracting quilt would help.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:40 AM   #12

slipe escribió:
Quote:
Selective color, sharpening and noise removal.

Slipe: How did you get that looking for the skin?? It looks like professional magazines shoots!!! What is selective color?
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:44 AM   #13

Hey Slipe, I like how did you finished this photo with selective color, sharpening and noise removal, excellent job.

What program did you used,is it photoshop 7 or photoshop CS?

what filter is noise removal,must be some other name under programme of Photoshop 7...

Can you tell what did you changedunder selective color....

I don't find that kind of results with your explanation especially with colors and skin tones...

Thanks in advance

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:45 PM   #14

Noise reduction software does wonders for skin tones. For complexion blemishes you use more and for photos like this one you use less.

The Brain Surgery 2 plug-in fell off a truck and I use that in Photoshop CS. I think Neat Image and Noise Ninja might be slightly better, but any plug-in is infinitely better than a stand alone program. Grain Surgery has some features that the others lack, and it works a lot better if you choose your own sample points. For this image I just shotgunned it, but I normally find the edges, invert the selection and then apply the noise reduction. The image stays pretty sharp but the noise is smoothed out.

For getting the "glamour portrait" look I think you could probably do pretty well with the built-in "Smart Blur". Find the edges, invert and apply a small amount of smart blur (Filters>Blur>Smart Blur). Another way to do it is to make a duplicate layer, add some smart blur and use a small eraser with the image blown up on the eyes and anything you don't want blurred. Maybe you would also want to use a larger eraser and erase everything but the skin.

Selective color in Photoshop is under Image>Adjustments>Selective Color. I mostly messed with the red channel and boosted the black very slightly. I probably tweaked some of the other channels as well, but couldn't get the same exact settings twice. You just have to mess with the sliders and see what they do.

I also did my standard defogging with a high radius and low amount in unsharp mask. I find it cleans up most images taken with a small sensor digital and just automatically do it as a first step. If I don't like the result I just go back a step in the history, but it usually improves the image. I used radius around 150 and amount 16.

I likely messed with levels or curves a little, but I don't remember. The nice thing about the history palette is that you can try various things and go back to an earlier situation if you start not liking the results.

Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:41 PM   #15

I have done that!!

Thanks a lot for your clear and detailed explanation!!, I apperciate that.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:04 PM   #16

msantos wrote:
Quote:
I have done that!!

Thanks a lot for your clear and detailed explanation!!, I apperciate that.
Did you use smart blur? Did it work out close to the noise reduction?
Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:10 PM   #17

Thanks Slipe for complete explanation.

Grain surgery does miracle on skin. Can you tell me where can I download the Grain surgery from the net or you should be free to send me.

Thanks
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:31 PM   #18

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I also did my standard defogging with a high radius and low amount in unsharp mask. I find it cleans up most images taken with a small sensor digital and just automatically do it as a first step. If I don't like the result I just go back a step in the history, but it usually improves the image. I used radius around 150 and amount 16.

Thanks, Slipe, I am definitely going to try your techniques. However, I understood everything, except I did not find the "defogging" filter in PS CS2. Can you guide me there? Also, in which sequence do you do those steps? Do you find it's best to remove the noise before doing the other steps or in the end?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:17 AM   #19

i've been tried this one. i used to little bit blur and USM it.
Attached Images

scorpionfish is offline   Reply With Quote