Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 20, 2005, 7:34 PM   #1

I was on the beach last night and snapped a few shots playing with the shutter, iso, and apperture settings. This is one of the results. Changed from 3200x2400 jpeg to 1024x768 and cropped. Hope you like it. I think it is a fairly good shot.

astinus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:06 PM   #2

Generally with a beach shot I prefer to see some of the water in there with it. This shot has very little going on and so it really needs to have something extraordinary about it to compensate for that. Maybe if there were more lights on in the buildings or a clear nite with the moon or star showing.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:28 PM   #3

I'm still new to photography and learning how to set up a shot and what makes a good shot, so bear with me. They will get better and more intereting over time. Here is another i took over looking the water as a tug was pulling a barge through the gulf.

Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:55 PM   #4

You know... I think you might have a good eye... But you failed to get the capture in the first image. I see what you wanted but it's not what you got. The horizon is tilted color is muted and it's soft. You cant take long exposures hand held. At least I can't. So if you don't have a tripod you'll have to set the camera or your arms and hands on very firm setting like a fence or building.

On the second picture all that and the rule of thirds. That is where you try to avoid putting the main subject in the middle of the frame. It a rule not a law but it would help if the ship and horizon were out of the middle.

Try again.

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:01 PM   #5

astinus01 wrote:
Quote:
Changed from 3200x2400 jpeg to 1024x768 and cropped.
OH! I forgot... Why did you do this... Put you camera in the highest resolution and don't touch it again.. And I mean it! If you need more room on your memory tell Santa.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:38 PM   #6

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
You know... I think you might have a good eye... But you failed to get the capture in the first image. I see what you wanted but it's not what you got. The horizon is tilted color is muted and it's soft. You cant take long exposures hand held. At least I can't. So if you don't have a tripod you'll have to set the camera or your arms and hands on very firm setting like a fence or building.

On the second picture all that and the rule of thirds. That is where you try to avoid putting the main subject in the middle of the frame. It a rule not a law but it would help if the ship and horizon were out of the middle.

Try again.

dale

I was using a Tripod when i took these shots. I was using a high iso setting so there is a lot of noice in the pictures. I used neat image to take care of some of it but i don't think it got it all. The horizon seems slanted because of the way the coast is not because of camera tilt. The coast curves out into the gulf the farther away from the camera you get. Not sure if there is a way to correct this post processing but it would ruin the flow i think.

As for the second picture, i read a bit about the thirds today, so i will be thinking of that from here on in my picture taking. Thanks for the words and i will be posting more whether good or bad.

As for changing the resolution, i did this to make the image smaller for posting on the boards. The original file is about 5MB in SQ.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 9:43 PM   #7

astinus01 wrote:
Quote:
I The horizon seems slanted because of the way the coast is not because of camera tilt. The coast curves out into the gulf the farther away from the camera you get.
Sorry... But the buildings are tilted. BTW So is the ship picture. They fail the close the window down on it test. The camera is tilted. Really! It's not much and can be fixed in PS.

dale