Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 21, 2005, 4:39 AM   #1

Hi

I am starting clr photos. i am finding it really hard to get the color balance etc correct. also sharpness and all the rest.

can i get some help with maybe someone doing a quick over haul of the image and just posting the processes involved so i can get started on my own images.

I found b&w hard enough and now color is a whole new can of worms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

like maybe sharpness, color balance, levels, curves, air brushing. I know what these things are and i have basic knowledge but my skills arnt high enough to make this image look any good

Ohh yea the lighting i am using is manly tungsten based and no i cant afford to change it.

This is one of the worst images from the lot as i want to fix up the better ones so plsedont be to hard on me about the photo LOL :?

thanks heaps

KEN
Aucks, NZ

Last edited by kenmck15; Aug 21, 2010 at 1:45 AM.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:25 AM   #2

Hi Ken.

Sorry, haven't got time to go through the steps right now. But if this is something like you envisage, i'll get back to you, (takes longer to type the darn thing than do it :roll.

If I may suggest, you will get some great advice on the technical side of the shoot here, but for more retouching, also take it to Extreme Makeovers , there are many who can help there.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:54 AM   #3

WOOW

that is amazing work, and i cant believe you can do it so fast. I spent hours trying to do one and i kept getting a real patchy finish. that is awesome.

wen u get some time could you please send me the process (Im guessing ur using ps) of how u did this.

I really appreciate this, then i can finally start doing color edits as i have favoured b&w just bcse i found it easier.

And yes i have posted the image in extreme make over

thanks heaps

KEN
Aucks, NZ
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:35 AM   #4

Same procedure as I layed out before ( http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90 )
except I balanced the skin tone of face to match the body a little more. Watch for shadows that cut through features like the eye. Removed this one. Try different backgounds. Something like a brown in this case. The surrounding colors have alot to do with how we see the other colors in the image.

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Super Moderator

the edits look good guys!!

you guys want to process my pictures for me??? heheh :blah:
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:07 AM   #6

Ok guys,

No point in showing an edit when there is no explaination.... We would all love to know what you guys did here, including the original poster I'll bet...

Widowmaker/... where was the last procedure layed out..?

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:22 AM   #7

LBoy....as I suggested to Ken to post this in Extreme Makeover, as he specifically requested advice on post processing, I have outlined the steps I used There.

I'll leave all the technical side of lighting etc to you guys, as I feel more comfortable with 'after the fact' rather than before, and you all know what you are talking about

Bonus points to widowmaker for removing the shadows that I neglected to .

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:07 PM   #8

The other shot was black and white. I explained what method I used but I'm sure their are others. Its located here.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90

The only difference on the color one is I changed the skin tone to match the body better.

1. Create a new layer.

2. Use color select tool and choose a darker tone (not shadow) from the area you are trying to match.

3. Select the paint brush (soft tip and choose a size appropriate for work area).

4. Set the brush transparency to around 25%.

5. Start painting the area you wish to change.

6. After your done if you feel its to much or to little, adjust the transparency of that layer.

Since you worked in layers you can easily go back on that layer and use the erase tool to get rid of any "out of the lines" mistake you might have made like coloring in the eyes.

If you don't want to read the other post about the smoothing, I use the clone tool to get rid of large problem areas. Next I use the smudge tool with a soft brush at about 3% to 4% on a new layer to smooth the skin. I finish up with erasing any mistakes on that layer and then using the burn and dodge tools to tweak the shadows and highlights.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:00 AM   #9

i am very surpirsed that you guys use no color adjustments, or levels to fix this image. All this time Geeeeee.

just shows i have no idea lol
Old Nov 26, 2005, 9:52 PM   #10

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote