Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:34 PM   #1

Took this shot about a week ago, and I'd really like to know what others think.

Attached Images

R_Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i copied this from an old post, but i think it applies here as well and i didnt want to type it all out again..

i think you have fell into the trap of shooting straight on... its easy to do thinking just the flowers natural beauty will shine through.. unfortunately much of the beauty comes from the depth and the form of the flower, this gets lost when you shoot straight down at it (hence the hard edge and fake look).. no worries, easily fixed.. (you will have to shoot again though)

start with a 3/4 perspective, so get down close to the level of the flower and shoot at about a 45 degree angle.. this should include enough of the top of the flower so the petals looks great but will also give the shot depth and make it look 3-dimensional.. and fill the frame a little more, so get a little closer.. and then from there just work the flower.. take several shots from varying angles.. then go back to your computer and see which ones you like best... by doing this, you will soon learn what angles work for different flowers and will become much more proficient..

best of luck to ya!
-----------
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips Dustin, I always learn something from others comments. Took this full on only because of the feather effect of the petals. Had 32 prints made of various mum shots including this one that I've shown to 6 people so far, and 3 said it was just the best, while one said it wasn't so good. Go figure. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Randy
Old Nov 24, 2005, 5:40 AM   #4

Hi Randy,
The quote that Dustin posted was origionally directed at one of my posted photos. Follow his advice as it is good. During the next two nights I took almost 80 pictures at different angles of the same flower using a tripod. Ended up with a few that even I liked. When I was finally able to see the debth and form of the flower I learned a new way to view any object that I want to photograph. I showed the before and after to my wife and one of my neighbors and the responce went from good to WOW!

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:17 PM   #5

Many thanks for the help "old man", I put that in quotes since I'm 55 and fit into that category. It's very challenging to the point of frustration sometimes, when I try to get a shot that's really nice, but my old digicam stubbornly refuses to focus, etc.

For purposes of perspective only, I think perhaps this is more suitable for this subject. It is not a shot I'm happy with on several levels, but I do like the angle and depth. I think this is more what both you and dustin mean?

Enjoy the holiday, and again, thank you for any and all help.

Randy

Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:51 PM   #6

yep, that's more on the right track.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote