Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:55 AM   #1

Here is a picture I took of Grandma's Flowers in her garden. The main problem with this photo was the very gloomy overcast day we were having when I took the picture. Otherwise, how can I improve this?
Attached Images

Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:50 PM   #2

Did you hand hold this? If you did you did a good job of it. But you should use a tripod when going that slow. The cloudy skies probably helped out a little (maybe to much) because flowers always look better in diffused light. On the cheap you could introduce more light into the picture with a reflector made from some white paper or my favorite, poster board. There are several places a little edit would help. Bad spots on petals and stuff like USM. It is a pretty picture though. Keep it up.

dale

PS: julies517 is the go to gal around here for flowers. SHE'S GOOD ! Listen to her.
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. The picture was taken at ISO80, so had it been to dark, upping the ISO to 200 or so. So you think the clouds helped the flowers out? They seemed less vivid than normal. I'll have to take pictures of them once the sun comes out. :-)

And yeah, the flowers did have some inperfections, but it was more of a quick snapshot than a really well staged shot. It was hand-held as most of my shots are. When you say use white paper to reflect, where exactly do I hold it? Thanks.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:13 AM   #4

cloudy days are usually best because of the diffused light, the colors tend to pop more.* in sunlight sometimes the light is too harsh, while it looks pretty it doesn't alway translate well. soft morning light is really nice, you could try that. holding a reflector depends on the light source, you may have to play around to see where the light is hitting the subject, you should be able to see a difference.* the colors here are very bright, almost to the point of a loss of detail, i don't know if that's a white balance issue or not. something about the composition bothers me, i find i either want to step back and see more flowers or step in and focus on one or two. they are lovely flowers, definitely go back and experiment and let us see what you come up with
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote