Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 24, 2005, 1:20 AM   #1

Hi everyone, would appreciate your critique on this one...
Attached Images

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:39 AM   #2

This one really doesn't do it for me. While I do like the general idea and composition of the shot, I think this one is not up to your usual quality. To me, the subject is the girl, but the focus doesn't seem to agree with that, while the water looks like it is in focus (I think, it's hard to tell because it's so bright). The reflections in the water are too blown out as well. I also believe the sun-star effect from the reflection also takes away from the subject. Finally, the white balance looks really towards the red side. So far I've been impressed with your shots but this one really doesn't work for me. Sorry if any of that came accross harsh, I'm just trying to be honest. I do like the subject placement and overall placing/framing of the shot, but I think the lighting made it really difficult.
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:45 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments Brian. I was in two minds about this shot - the soft focus is a photoshop technique that I probably should have left out or emphasized more to make it obvious. The photo was also run through a filter which gives everything a reddish tint which to me made a more pleasing shot, but thats just my opinion.

Thanks again...
Old Nov 24, 2005, 2:54 AM   #4

I kind of figured that you'd have noticed, so I guess I kinda knew that you had to have done something to it. I don't think any of the processing would be bad by themselves, but I think with the red, focus, starring, and reflections I think it just takes too much away from the subject. Again, I'm fairly new to dSLR and post-processing so feel free to take my opinion for what it's worth. I'd be interested in finding out what others think as well, maybe I'm the one who's off today (been known to happen!).
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:04 AM   #5

I'm sure everyone else will have the similar critique Brian, think I'm the one who is off here. To me the best critiques of a photo come from people who are not yet caught up in all the "rules" of photography - if it fails in their eyes, then it really just is not a pleasing photo. Thanks again...
Old Nov 24, 2005, 8:29 AM   #6

I like this shot and the warm cast sets it up for being a farm girl relaxing at the end of the day just as the sun starts to go down and yes sometimes everything can take on a very red cast.

limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote