Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 27, 2005, 2:47 AM   #1

We got our first (measurable) snow this Friday, so today I went out to the park and found this deer casually walking around. I shot the whole thing by the time I realized that the camera was still in ISO 800 from some screwing around I was doing the night before, but I did the photoshop 'remove noise' on the default settings, don't know if it helped. Kind of a bummer since it was so bright out that ISO 100 or 200 would have been fine. Good thing the 20D does alright with it.

Handheld with the new 70-300mm f/4 IS USM. Image compressed to size by PHP (100% available if it helps).
EXIF:
Dimensions:3270 x 1601 pixels
Exposure Time:1/800 sec
FNumber:f 8
Flash:No Flash
Focal length:200 mm
ISO:800
Metering Mode:Multi-Segment
Model:Canon EOS 20D
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:47 AM   #2
Super Moderator

i actually prefer the "grain" of the higher ISO's on my 20d for me it seems sharper and more contrasty.. i don't really care for the noise reduction look, to me it obliterates all fine detail and you lose too much contrast.. may be helpful at ISO 3200 or in shots with alot of black, but for anything else i would just leave it as is..

this shot is pretty good.. the composition is good as the deer is walking into the frame and the aspect ratio works for me..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Dustin, always appreciated.

Here's another of the same deer before he walked out into the open. I didn't like this one as much because the trees seemed too busy, but my dad said he thought it would be great in a hunting magazine (that's why I don't ask family for critiques - they're too nice!)

Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:34 PM   #4

I like the first shot quite well. As you noted, it's too bad you didn't optimize your settings some more, but it still came out pretty nicely.

I understand what you mean about the second shot having a busy background. The deer looks great - nice detail in the fur and a catchlight in the eye - good stuff. Can you do any PP work on the background? I'll bet some of the experts in extreme makeover forum could help you if you're interested in that option. They do some pretty awesome stuff in that forum.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:47 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i think some of the PS wizards could do something to make the deer standout a little more i am sure.. so a post in "Extreme Makeover" is a good idea.. you may learn something as well..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:00 PM   #6

Nice shots Brian,

I don't mind the background in the 2nd, as that is usually where you find them and it looks natural. Maybe a little less DOF would have worked, but I think this is fine. I actually think the first shot would work great in a magazine, two page article, title in upper left, text of the article in the snow on the next page.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:40 PM   #7

My attempt at a little pruning
Attached Images

limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:38 PM   #8

That's a damn fine job. I'd probably continue it and clone out the shadow (since the branch is now gone). Mind posting your workflow? I imagine a new layer with selective blur and some cloning work? I've been using photoshot for a whole 3 weeks now so I'm definitly a newbie at post processing. Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:53 PM   #9

I work in paint shop pro x and I started by duplicating layer then applied a gaussian blur with 2.00 radius

Then applied a mask and edited it with paint brush default black/white 100% opacity until just the deer and forground are still covered by the mask.

I then reduced the opacity of the brush and worked up from the foreground to give a little depth of field. I keep reducing opacity as I go until the mask is no longer visable and the total blur would be showing..

I then cloned out the branches that I needed to in the background itself. ( I find cloning out is more effective when in a blurred state rather than doing it as a sharp image).
Then I cloned out the branches on the deer outline itself ( sorry I forgot the shadow).

I then applied an Adjustment layer to darken the background a little thus making the deer stand out a little more.

Quote:
That's a darn fine job. I'd probably continue it and clone out the shadow (since the branch is now gone). Mind posting your workflow? I imagine a new layer with selective blur and some cloning work? I've been using photoshot for a whole 3 weeks now so I'm definitly a newbie at post processing. Thanks!
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:28 PM   #10

Thanks! I'll have to play with it tonight after work and see what I can do with it.