Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 27, 2005, 3:49 PM   #1

IMAGE REMOVED..sorry.

Hi everyone,

Anyone into specular highlights? I think they're a lot of fun. I waited for thesun to warm up the frost a bit before taking this image. Hope ya like! :-)

StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 3:12 AM   #2

Hi Stitch, I like it but maybe the main 'full' one is a little overdone - just find it a bit distracting?That's a personal opinion and not a very educated one at that.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i don't care for them in the background.. with some nice frost and some highlights on the subject maybe, so i will be awaiting your frosty attempt.. and watch your processing, this one is full of artifacts..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:32 PM   #4

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
Hi Stitch, I like it but maybe the main 'full' one is a little overdone - just find it a bit distracting?That's a personal opinion and not a very educated one at that.

Hi there SteveDak,

These are not processed highlights. It's done in camera byshooting the image when the sun is shining through the water drops...usually in the morning.

Thanks for the feedback....much appreciated....
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:36 PM   #5

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i don't care for them in the background.. with some nice frost and some highlights on the subject maybe, so i will be awaiting your frosty attempt.. and watch your processing, this one is full of artifacts..

-dustin

Hi Dustin,

I'm sorry you don't like specular highlights as you can obtain some very attractive images capturing them. I HAVE gotten some frosty attempts, as you say, but at the same time I waited for the sun to come out and melt it so I could get some autumn speculars. Try it, you may like what you come up with! Warning.....it's awfully cold on the belly as you have to get down on the ground. :-)

As for the processing, I'm not sure where the artifacts are as I only used levels and hue/saturation on this image. I shoot in RAW format.

Thanks for your feed back...very interesting!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:42 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i guess we all like different things right! which is good, be quite boring if we all liked the same thing..:-)

not sure what the aftifacts are if you only did levels and saturation.. what camera and ISO are you shooting?

StitchBabe wrote:
Quote:
Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

-dustin

Hi Dustin,

I'm sorry you don't like specular highlights as you can obtain some very attractive images capturing them. I HAVE gotten some frosty attempts, as you say, but at the same time I waited for the sun to come out and melt it so I could get some autumn speculars. Try it, you may like what you come up with! Warning.....it's awfully cold on the belly as you have to get down on the ground. :-)

As for the processing, I'm not sure where the artifacts are as I only used levels and hue/saturation on this image. I shoot in RAW format.

Thanks for your feed back...very interesting!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:50 PM   #7

Hi once again Dustin,

Yes, it WOULD be very boring if everyone had the same interest...that's the beauty of photography....it's really an art....either ya like it or ya don't...heh..:-)

Anyways, I use a Canon 20D and I used ISO400 with this particular shot. I'm a little surprised as I more than likely would have used ISO100...maybe I forgot to change it....

Thanks a bunch for your reply! :-)
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:11 PM   #8
Super Moderator

hmm.. i can't really say what those artifacts are then.. especially if you are converting RAW.. do you apply alot of sharpening in your RAW conversion?

if this shot was originally pretty dark and you lightened it in conversion or later, that could introduce some noise as well..

i am just not used to seeing that kind of pattern from my 20d at iso 400..

-dustin
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:14 PM   #9

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
do you apply alot of sharpening in your RAW conversion?

if this shot was originally pretty dark and you lightened it in conversion or later, that could introduce some noise as well..

-dustin
Hi Dustin,

No, I don't use sharpening in my RAW conversion and I didn't lighten it in conversion either. I do sharpen as a final step though once I've finished processing my images. Thanks for your interest..much appreciated... :-)