Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 27, 2005, 8:30 PM   #1

ok guys.

i've spent way to much time on a mediocre shot and am still having major issues.

i wanted to figure out how to do a panoramic, but am having a h&ll of a time blending

my stiches. as for pscs "advanced blending", it does nothig for me at all. in fact, in

some instences, it makes it worse. any hints on how to make this work?

i've cleaned up the sky ok, but am having problems with the water, as you can see.

i've been working on this for many hours and am about to throw ps out the window.

please help.

scot

Attached Images

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:48 AM   #2
Super Moderator

is this the same shot as "1st needlework"
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:13 AM   #3

E.S. Crawford wrote:
Quote:
ok guys.

i've spent way to much time on a mediocre shot and am still having major issues.

i wanted to figure out how to do a panoramic, but am having a h&ll of a time blending

my stiches. as for pscs "advanced blending", it does nothig for me at all. in fact, in

some instences, it makes it worse. any hints on how to make this work?

i've cleaned up the sky ok, but am having problems with the water, as you can see.

i've been working on this for many hours and am about to throw ps out the window.

please help.

scot

Scot,

Never, ever give up. Pano's are just too much fun doing..

A couple of things that might help. First of all, I never use Photomerge, (Sorry Adobe). But photomerge is not a very good program for panoramic processing.

Try this program, which is FREE, AUTOMATIC, and VERY EASY. And it does a great job, with most panoramic shots.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

1. Download this program and try your pano again. See if it helps out. This program
has a much better automated blending function. One important thing about this
program though, is that the default setting for pano's is very small, thus allowing
the program to run much faster. If you want to PRINT a pano, you will have to go
into the OPTIONS window and adjust the output image size to say 75% or 100%.
But be forewarned. A 100% image will take about 10 minutes to process
depending on the size of your original images.

2. Always LOCK exposure on the first image. If your camera has a pano assist, use
it. Personally I don't use the pano assist mode on mine though, as it tends to
automatically reduce image size in half. I use the highest resolution setting and
just remember to refocus after each shot on the first shot location, thus the
settings should be the same. That is critical when merging (blending) though that
each shot has the same exact camera setting, or the blending could be tough.

3. I also use Canon's Photostitch software occassionally also, which is MUCH better
than Photoshop's photomerge, because it allows the entering of manual stitching
points. But try Mike Brown "Autostitch" program. I really think you will like it.

4. Another EXCELLENT site for future reference is: www.panoguide.com which has
tons and tons of information to help.

5. If you ever need help. Email me at my profile email address. I will always be
willing to help.

P.S. You can see some of my pano's at: www.pbase.com/brw_2909

Brian Randall
Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:45 PM   #4

Hi

I don't know too many software packages... i use only panorama factory. not because it may be the best, but just that it works fine for me. What you need to do with the water or any parts that don't blend well is to open out the merge boundaries. Again I am referring to the software I use so this might not apply to the programs you have. There is very little detail in your photograph so i don't know why its not working to well. As previously stated try another program. Opening out the boundaries for colour/aperture blending can however have a bad effect on other parts of your photograph, so sometimes I have to do this selectively or to blend in different stitches together.

some more hints on this thread.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote