Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 6, 2005, 4:50 PM   #11

sepia variation
Attached Images

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:20 PM   #12

I agree with Hards and Widow. The lighting, background and focus really detract from the image, and no amount of cropping or post work can really correct that. Since you are doing alot of portraits, take a little more time to plan your shot. Check your lighting and try out various methods of diffusing your flash. You could also attempt to use some natural light from a window to get more flattering results. Also, careful planning will allow you to do your "cropping" in camera. Since this was a posed shot, why not vary the framing by getting in closer or moving farther back to achieve the framing you want, rather than shooting wide and then cropping in post work. When you crop as much you have in the second image, you introduce all sorts of issues such as artifacts, noise and other problems that further detract from the image.

Good luck and keep shooting.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 6:39 PM   #13
Super Moderator

first off- you did use flash.. easy to tell from the flat lighting and the catchlights in the eyes.. that is the problem with onboard flash, they simply do not generally put out really great lighting for posed portraits.. they work nicely as fill flash in outdoor settings and such, but not as a key light..

what camera are you using? do you have a hotshoe for a flash?

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:46 PM   #14

You are always right about everything you said. Yesterday I finished a second session of model shooting where I noticed when using the flash from camera build in, the colors becomes too flat or as I say "dead" no live in there but the sharpness of the photo on the other hand becomes much better (this is becouse the shutter speed is araised to 1/60s and for my adjustments of light in improvised studio shutter speed without the flash is 1/8s).

I have Nikon 8700 model with flash shoe and lot of you on the forum are saying that it is better to add a specific flash instead of build in.

Also I ussually have a dificulty with the focus and image sharpnes when shooting without the flash and where my shutter speed is 1/8 or 1/4s. WHERE SHOULD I PAY ATTENTION WHEN FOCUS IS CONCERNED.

Thanks and
Regards Zak
Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:38 PM   #15

You could pick up the SB600 for about $179 US. You could then add sto-fen omnibounce for under $20 or a lumiquest pocket bouncer. These attach to the flash head and soften the flash. The only problem with bouncing is if you're not careful you will end up with shadows under the eyes and nose which is not flattering. When doingportraits, your point of focus should be the eyes. You can stop down a little bit on your aperature to give a little more DOF and ensure your entire subject is in focus. If you do this you will need to add a little distance between the background and your subject to render the background out of focus.

Good luck.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:32 PM   #16

Definitley # 1 and with out the watch on.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:32 PM   #17
Super Moderator

the problem with sharpness at 1/4 or 1/8 is that is just not possible to get sharp pictures at that slow of shutter speeds.. you need to either get more light or use flash...

i recommend picking up one of the external flashes that allows you to bounce and then getting a sto-fen or omnibounce like rejseeney mentions.. this will improve your flash photography immensly..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:14 PM   #18

This one on lights is a very subtle discussion. Can only follow it from a distance.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 4:23 PM   #19

Thanks every one for sharing your knowladge with me.
Additionalthing:
For this kind of photos, what does the metering(spot,center weighted,matrix or auto AF)topicture sharpness or focus.

Zak