Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:56 PM   #1

Hi All,

Just tried playing with my friends canon A80 in NY Middle Town. Was a lot cloudy and was shooting these pics in the creative mode. Exposure up by 1-1.5 step. I forgot the other settings. And ISO was either 200 or 100. Shutter speed around 1/60. Both the shots were hand held.

Please let me know whether the technique is right. I am not sure about a DSLR. The A80 had a shutter lag and hence i had to mentally calculate the length of time i had to keep continuing the focusing. After getting the lights right, and practicing a few shots, was able to shoot quite a few of these. Had lots of fun playing in the creative and manual mode.

Also please let me know what kind of setting is done in case of a DSLR. How fast a DSLR focusses when trying to shoot these and what technique is required to do the same.

Please let me know your reviews to improve.

thanks

vivek
Attached Images

waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:58 PM   #2

one more................
Attached Images

Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:02 PM   #3

Hi Vivek,

For a practise shot, it's pretty good! You seem to have nailed the panning technique...good for you. It shows a lot of motion and your subject is pretty sharp for a pan. The trick to doing that is to shoot when your subject is parallel to the camera and it looks as though you've mastered that.

Keep practising! Good work..
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

these look good especially considering they were shot with a point n shoot.. i think you have the technique down pretty well..

a dslr will havevirtually no shutter lag.. so the technique is much the same.. usingthe servo focusing will keep you constantly on foucs.. andshooting inburst mode will also give more of a chance of getting a good sharp pic and will prevent you from stopping short..when ppl only shoot 1 shot of a panning, they have a tendency tostop theirswing when they depress the shutter and thus ruin the shot.. you must follow through after shutter depression..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:19 PM   #5

The composition of the second shot is much stronger than the first. The only thing I would try to change in this shot is to clone out the pedestrian in the bottom near the biker.

The car is pretty good and sharp in the first one but its too centered. There are too many distracting elements throughout the photo. A stronger composition or crop would help this photo quite a lot.

Your panning technique looks like it's developing pretty well. I look forward to seeing more of these from you.

If you upload the photos so they can be seen directly without having to follow a link you may get more feedback. People often don't like messing with links, etc.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:20 PM   #6

thanks hards and stitch.,

here is another one same day, and the lady was in some kind of a mobile vehicle, a very fancy one...i have a whole picture which i will try to put here.

And as hards said, i realised the necessasity to follow the subjects after some sample shots. And what i noticed was, if u can move the camera at appropriate speed u can achieve a similar action shot when people are just walking.

vivek

p.s can u tell me how to upload it, coz what i am doing is just using the option giving while posting..let me know if there is any other way to do the same.

Attached Images

Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:21 PM   #7

The third shot is really good. Keep shooting them!
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:33 PM   #8

tried something in MS Paint. Just a direct cut and paste.
Attached Images