Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:47 PM   #1

Would be interested in any comments...

Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:12 PM   #2

I just LOVE Scotland, so I had to check these out. These are all pretty good shots. I would have to say that this one is the best...... although I would have had lowered the camera even more to have more land and less sky ( since the shy is dull )..... that would also have fixed the 50 / 50 line that you have going in this shot.... I say 50 / 50 in this one because I see the water-land line as being the main line in this scene rather than the normal land-sky line....... You most always want that line to be 1/3 and 2/3....... meaning that you should have either 1/3 sky and 2/3 land or the opposite...... You do find very good scenes to shot..... Do you have any more ???

One more thing... I hope you are not mad when I say this, but you also have the main subject on the middle line...... it is better to off center the subject.... It is one of those rules of composition that is learned in most beginner photo courses..... The reason I am telling you this is that I feel you have a wonderful eye for landscape.... If you were to follow the composition rules of thirds..... I believe that you would have Calendarquality shots......
Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 4:42 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments.

I know what you mean about that centre line but I like the angle and I was limited with pointing much further down because how the rocks looked (long story but it didn't look good!).

I think castle has it's most prominent feature above the central line - the actual tower was sitting directly on one the right-hand vertical line on the Nikon's alignment grid - and I lind of liked the way the all the the lines from the surrounding all lead into it.

This version seems to have lost a little bit of punch in the resolution drop to post it on here - I've got this printed at 12x18 and it has a bit more strength in the shadows.

Thanks

Rob
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:46 AM   #4

Rob, good morning.... There is no doubt in my mind that this is a GREAT shot. It is super how you took advantage of the rock formation to make the photo much stronger. After spending 16 years in Germany, I took many scenic shots like this. I know how tight it can get.

I hope you dont mind me showing you instead of trying to explain it.... I do much better with showing :-)...... I used only 1/3 of the sky that you have and cut off just a little of the bridge to make it a little stronger.... I my eyes, you have a very strong composition now.... What do you think ?????

Please post more if you have time..... Do you live there or just visiting ???
Attached Images

Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:47 AM   #5

Look how you have leading lines into the 2 bottom corners
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Super Moderator

the first image is indeed good.. and it wasn't so centered as to bother me too much as you had nice foreground and some nice lead in lines that kept me focused on the castle..

but i have to say that i prefer the crop that bagsfan did.. i think he nailed it with the lead in lines.. though i wish there was a way to keep a little more of the bridge in during the crop..

still, another nice, moody image..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:16 PM   #7

Rob, Is it possible for you to post a color image of what I cropped ???? FOr some reason, my computer turned it to black and white.... even though I think it looks cool in B&W.....

Dustin, I agree that it would make the photo stronger with a little more of the bridge, but then it would have to be shot again and move the camera at a little different angle..... I see though what you are talking about Dustin.....