Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:49 PM   #1

Infra-red filter used on this one, 30-second exposure.

Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Super Moderator

this is a very nice, appealing image.. the composition is good, the ir filter gave it just a little more contrast and mood that really elevated this from just a good composition of an ok picture to something that is quite good..

nice work,

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:26 PM   #3

Many thanks for your input, Dustin.

Can you tell me what it is about the composition you like? I really wasn't sure myself.

The problem with this tree is 1. it's quite tall - a good 25ft and 2. it grows out of a rock (literally through the rock!) right next to the busy trunk road that goes through Glen Coe and Rannoch Moor. This made getting getting 'no road' in the shot quite tricky and I was never entirely convinced I got it right.

The IR filter and resulting 30s exposure gave the photo a bit of movement in the grass, clouds and branches. The B&W conversion and curves were done in PS, obviously.

If you could just elaborate on the composition I'd be most grateful.

Thanks
Rob
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:55 AM   #4

its a beautiful shot! thanks for sharing!
RONiN of Hillbillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:32 PM   #5
Super Moderator

what i liked about this composition is that it is simple and clean.. the tree is placed nicely off center, it serves as an anchor to the shot but doesnt overwhelm so your eyes are free to take in the rest of the scene.. the other rocks balance the scene out rather nicely...

the only quip i have is that you could have done 1 of 2 things to improve this composition.. a)included more sky bringing the horizon down out of the middly part of the frame .. or b)included more grass bringing the horizon towards the upper part of the frame.. as the horizon is kind of centered, but its not completely center so it really doesn't bother me much..

what i really makes this shot is your presentation.. the movement in the grass and sky from the long shutter is very nice.. and the extra contrast from the IR filter really makes this a superb conversion, though looking at it again i think you could have masked off the sky and darkened it a bit more..i think without the filter the shot would have been boring.. but it really elevated this one to something that i found quite appealing.. and i always like a simple, classy, well presented mono landscape..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:32 PM   #6

Something that strikes me about the composition is that the shape of the rock from which the tree is growing is sort of echoed in the rounded hilltops on the other side of the photo. This establishes a sense of balance for me. Then, similar shapes are reiterated (more or less) in the shapes of the clouds. So it looks to me like there is a subtle pattern unifying the photo. Also, the clouds are nicely rendered - great detail and contrast. Finally, the tonal range is very good. There is a broad range but there are no blown out or totally dark spots. All in all, this is an exceptionally pleasing, seemingly simple (but not really so!) photo.

Please keep shooting and posting.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:14 AM   #7

rob g,

i am a celt of old and all shots of scotland, especially the highlands, have a profound

effect on me.

all of the shots i've seen from you so far call to my soul.

i am scottish on both sides of my family, crawford/duncan on dad's side,

mccelvey/cambell on momma's, though both have been in the states since almost the

beginning.

your portrail of my homeland, though rather estranged, has made me long to see the
land of my ancestors. thank you for your beautiful portrayel of a most harsh and

sometimes brutal land of my past

scot.

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:14 AM   #8

Thanks for the further comments, folks. It's one of my favourites from the trip. Photography isn't something I've 'studied', I just tend to go with gut feeling. Most of the time it doesn't work, sometimes - like here - it does, but it's nice to know what 'works' for other people too.

Scot - just go. It took us eight hours to drive up from central England. It wont take you much longer to fly from Washington State. Just spend as long as you can in the 'wilds' and don't worry about spending much time in the cities (let's face it, they're all the same wherever you go, pretty much).
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:44 AM   #9

I don't feel so much for this Rob, sorry. It does remind me of home though and many a walk or cycle over and through the Rannock Moor. While it does portray particularly well the rugged and fairly desolate nature of this area, personally it's lacking the beauty of my memories. I'm left with the feeling of wanting to be able to wander further up and see what is just over the crest. The tree and only the hint of further landscape leave me alittle disappointed.

Purely personal of course, but on a broader sense never the less, not a particular stand out for me in terms of composition. I dislike the broad grass area, rising to the very shallow hiddenmid-ground and then subsequent broad sky, over onthe right side.

Take care. I hope you enjoyed the trip after the long journey.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote