Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 1, 2005, 2:27 AM   #1

ok i tried to post process these as well as i could with my somewhat limited PS skills. i actually did a little dodging and burning, which i dont normally do. i also added, what i consider, a lot of contrast. please let me know your thoughts on these 3 images.
thanks

-mike j-

btw- if you prefer black and white or think these might look better in black and white, i have a couple of them converted to BW and up on my site as well, at www.pbase.com/mikej86 in the recent uploads section.

johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:59 AM   #2

the first two are alittle busy, but nice scenic shots. i like the third one best. the branches at the bottom are a little distracting but overall a nice shot, the blurred water looks great. oh, and by the way- i ordered my lensbaby last night- thanks for the inspiration
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3

I would say Im a little torn on all of these shots. The 1st doesnt have much of interest for me, and Im not a fan of what looks like blurring in the forground. The scenery of the second doesnt do much for me, but the blurring of the water is great. The third has the best scene overall. For my taste since this is not a waterfall, or very fast mover I would like to see clearer/still water and more selective bluring where it hits the "rapids" I think I bit faster shutter here would help. Good shooting.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:50 AM   #4

I like # 2 & 3 but i find the shutter speed has been a little too slow and the water has lost all it's character. Blurring of the water is great for showing motion but a little more detail would be nice.
Geoff
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:58 AM   #5

thanks for the comments/suggestions!

-mike j-

www.pbase.com/mikej86
Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:13 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i think the background really let you down here.. the weeds give the shot almost too much context and thus the viewer is made aware of how small the stream is.. you know.. and the early winter colors being quite muted feeds into this leaving the scene looking rather dull.. the water blurring tries to add some dynamicism, but ultimately the background wins out and ruins this one..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:05 PM   #7

love the way you guys talk about photographs. i could hear grenades goin off next to my head as you described the battle between the stream and the background dustin. lol. this was a rather dull scene which was why i was trying to jack the saturation, contrast, and hopefully the appeal up a little more. unfortunately i think i've just dressed an ugly girl up in a nice dress, only to be reminded she's still ugly, lol. hope i didn't offend anyone.

-mike j-

www.pbase.com/mikej86
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:31 AM   #8

Mike, there is so much crowding in those shots. The eye just wonders about. The eye needs to be led some where and I think when you look at any photo -generally speaking - this should come at the first instance.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 9:13 AM   #9

thanks for the help