Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:34 PM   #1

I was just out taking a picture of the snow to show Selvin in the "Challenge Forum" and saw the frozen fuchsia sitting on the ground. So I dug this out from the summer pictures of the same flower when times were a little warmer. I'm a little afraid because Julies517's flowerpictures are so darn good.

dale

Attached Images

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:42 PM   #2

Yah, Julies flowers take the trophy, but don't give up please.:-). I like the fact that the background is completely blurred outm in focus and and well lit. But for the left portion of the shot. Wonder whether cropping that part might improve it!
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:57 PM   #3

i really like this one, nice framing, good color and light and i think your DoF here works well.* a minor thing would be if you had a bit more of the top of the in focus fuchsia. very nice shot though and thank you for the complements
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 2:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

beautiful bokeh, biting sharp image with loads of saturation and contrast.. really makes for an appealing shot.. what lens is this (100mm macro of somekind?)...

but its almost ruined by the blob of the other fuscia in the upper right hand corner.. not surethe best way to take care of that though.. cropping will ruin the compositionsand i am not sure a clone job could work with this image.. hmmm...

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:45 AM   #5

Aumma,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on my picture. I actually tried that crop and felt the flower was kind of danglingdown from space, but a very striking picture.I went with this version but might print out the cropped for a friend. Thanks again, you are very kind.

Julies517,

Thanks for your kind words. As for the top of the focus fuchsia ... There is usually a reason since every shot is a compromise of light and composition. But duh... i dunt stink eye kant member. (Misspelling on purpose) (No really) Thanks again (The Queen Of Flowers has spoken)

Dustin,

How come I knew you'd say something about saturation... Just kidding... When I went back and found this picture I noticed I had a .cpt file. (Corel photo paint.) When I was a little surprised to see it had 17 layers ! Then I remembered that I was trying to... Get rid of the blob in the right corner with out cropping. I'll try to get back to it and see if I can do it.

The lens is a Sigma 70-300 APO with Super Macro. That lens is a real bargain for the price $219us. It takes great flower pictures and then flip the switch and it takes great baseball pictures... I shake my head just thinking about it. Go down to Sports & Action Photosto see some of the baseball pictures I took.But I am looking forward to getting some better lenses.

Thanks for look'n Dustin and we are all still learning from you.

dale

Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:20 PM   #6
Super Moderator

hey dale..

i have always said the good version of the 70-300 sigma is the best bargain in telephoto lenses made.. and this is just another proof of that. for 200ish dollars its a steal..

anyways, i took a quick look at editing that blob last night when i couldnt sleep, but i couldnt get it to look right.. but heavy editing in PS is not my forte..

good luck and i look forward to seeing what you can do..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:43 PM   #7

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
anyways, i took a quick look at editing that blob last night when i couldnt sleep, but i couldnt get it to look right.. but heavy editing in PS is not my forte..
What blob?

dale
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:36 PM   #8

wow, good job!
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 2:51 AM   #9

The queen has spoken... AGAIN !

julies517,

Thank you very much.

dale