Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 3, 2005, 7:51 PM   #1

Here is the original and edit of my most recent photo. I'd like to see what you think of my editing job and possibly get some ideas for other edits. Please feel free to take a whack at an edit yourself if you're bored enough.

I tried virtual photographer and I liked what it was doing, but it kept blowing the highlights even worse that they already were. When I faded the effect, it just didn't look as good. So, I wracked my brain for a bit and finally came up with how to leave the highlights untouched. I created a new layer, performed virtual photographer on it, created a layer mask with the original, and inverted the layer mask. There is probably a better way to avoid processing highlights, but I'm new to this. I also did some straightening, some cropping, and a slight shift toward yellow. Camera is an Olympus C-7070.

Original

Edit

David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:04 PM   #2

i really like your edit here david. i'm a cat-lover though so maybe i'm a little biased, but i think you've got a great shot here. The editing has done wonders for the shot. the original was sort of stale and snapshot looking, but the edit gives it an artsy touch that really makes the photo in my opinion. you could also try the diffuse glow filter in PS. i use that occasionally to get the glowing effect like this... i used it on a pic of my grandfather here...
http://www.pbase.com/mikej86/image/48038489

-mike j-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:09 PM   #3
Super Moderator

another cat fan here too, i have a 15 yr old tiger cat that lives at my parents farm that i should photo more often..

the edit is indeed an improvement.. i think you could use a little sharpening though, to get a little more detail out of the fur..

did you get any with the cat looking out the window.. i love those shots because their eyes reflect the scene so well and you can really use the window light to great effect... if you havent had a chance to take a few of them, give it a try, i think you will like the results!be sure to crop in tight around the face to emphasize the eyes..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:16 PM   #4

yeah looking at it again i think it would be much better if your cat were looking out the window. right now he kind of looks like he's in pain. i'm hearing, "ahh this feline arthritis is killing me"
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 8:17 PM   #5
Super Moderator

to me he is saying "i am about to fall asleep standing up, i think i need another nap"
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:09 PM   #6

Yeah, she ran off before I had the chance to get more shots. She'll be back, and I'll get more then.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:52 AM   #7

man! i can't believe y'all like cats (i've got five)

here's my take on your shot, David.

i just intensified a bit.

hope you like it...

scot
Attached Images

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 2:53 AM   #8

Thanks for the edit Scott.

Question: Does the original look a bit cold on everyone's monitor? I did to me, which is why I bumped it toward the yellow.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:55 PM   #9
Super Moderator

hard to tell without knowing the cat, but it does look better warmed up.. so i think the original could be a bit cool..

-dustin