Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:13 AM   #1

I swear it is my first take at portrait. Can't wait to hear your comments. In fact I was persuaded to take it. Was very shy indeed. Hah ha ha! I know it is soft but ....
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:29 AM   #2

I am very much a beginner in photography, but I really like this photo. I can see what you mean by it looking a little soft and I'm sure someone could advise you regarding this.

At first I thought "maybe if she was smiling a bit more . . .", but actually her expression really drew me into this picture. She is very pretty too.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:51 AM   #3

Aumma,

Your subject is beautiful and your lucky to have the opportunity to take her picture.

I often think it's odd the way people complain about frames around here.But!On this picture we will have to look past the frame because it really hurts the picture.

Yes it is soft. So I (we) want to know how you took this picture. Hand held? What was you lighting other then flash? How much of a crop was this? Everything.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:31 AM   #4
Super Moderator

its just too soft, i think its a combo of some motion blur and also it seems as you missed focus.. i think the focus here is somewhere in the hair..

i had a little play with it.. think it looks a little better, but its hard to get aroundthe softness..
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:51 AM   #5

Your composition is good, but I agree that you should lose the orange frame. The reason the photo looks soft is because the eyes are soft. You need to focus on an eye, usually the nearest one. If the eyes are in focus the rest of the shot looks right.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:14 PM   #6

At a full second exposure, there is bound to be some motion blurring of the subject, unless she is a professional model trained to remain still. Good that she didn't blink. the focus is just a bit off, but not the main problem. There are ways of correcting after the fact, but I think more light is what is really lacking. I couldn't resist taking a crack at editing it, hope you don't mind too much.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:38 PM   #7

Brian, Dale, Ladyhawk, Dustin, VTphotog, and others who have looked, thanks folks for giving me the boost being my first portait. Sorry that the orange frame caused so much heartache. I have shed it. I took this photo at dusk just when the sun was about to tip over the horizon. It was really beginning to get dark. The lady is not a professional model. Believe me we did argue quite a bit about her being still. In fact most of the photos were ruined because she did not simply have the patience to stay still. I forgot to bring along myexternal flash and used the in built flash.Indeed light was a problem. The other details are below.

Shooting Mode: Manual Exposure[/b]

Av( Aperture Value ): 4.5[/b]

Tv( Shutter Speed )[/b]1[/b]

Metering Mode: Evaluative Metering[/b]

ISO Speed: 100[/b]

Lens: 70.0 - 300.0 mm[/b]

Focal Length:[/b]119.0 mm[/b]

Image Quality:: Fine[/b]

Flash Type: Built-In Flash[/b]

White Balance: Auto.

Tripod: Yes.[/b]

[/b]

Thanks for all the good things you have said about the lady. I will pass them onto her.Thanks Dusting for the editing and Thanks VTphotog for the enhancements. Both the edited look much more decent. Any further tips will be welcome.

[/b]

[/b]

Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:46 PM   #8
Super Moderator

man.. 1 second exposures of ppl, that is just a recipe for softness.. save your 1 second exposures for things that do not move.. keep it above 1/20 or so.. that will really help you out..

and just try to keep your external flash with you.. getting the flash away from the lens really makesa big difference..

-dustin

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:51 PM   #9

Thanks Dustin, as usual have learnt a lot more.

Patrick.