Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:24 AM   #1

Tough tough tough job to avoid all the brightest places in the glass where light just blazes thru...but fun to experiment with, thanks for the prior remarks/suggestions. How's this one?
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Super Moderator

i like the simple presentation much better.. but that bright spot is just killing me.. move your light source?

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:08 PM   #3

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i like the simple presentation much better.. but that bright spot is just killing me.. move your light source?

-dustin
Eureka! ha ha....! I think I know what to do. I have tried moving the light source, changing the light source, rotating the thing....every thing but the right thing. B U T it just dawned on me and I think I can redo this for a more even looking effect...light speaking. Thanks Dustin, for your suggestion. I'm going to give this one more try. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Dec 10, 2005, 1:52 AM   #4

Yah, do something about that light source.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 2:36 PM   #5

Hi,

I much prefer this one over the busy previous shot.

Regarding the light source, are you using a flash? I made a simple yet crude diffuser for my flash by getting some muslin or other semi-transluscent material and an elastic band and hey presto - a weaker flash! I have also experimented with red sweet wrappers, etc... to really try and make things interesting.

One more shot and I think you got it!

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:00 AM   #6

DomCotton wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I much prefer this one over the busy previous shot.

Regarding the light source, are you using a flash? I made a simple yet crude diffuser for my flash by getting some muslin or other semi-transluscent material and an elastic band and hey presto - a weaker flash! I have also experimented with red sweet wrappers, etc... to really try and make things interesting.

One more shot and I think you got it!

Dom
Dom...no flash at all, just a candle behind this transluscent, kind of opaque face carving. In a pitch dark room. For about a zillion shots I was convinced I could get the shot I wanted by rotating the figure, or changing the distance between the figure and the candle, or shifting the light to one side or the other. No cigar! B U T it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks what I need to do. I A M going to have one more go and this time I think I can get it right. Many thanks for all the kind suggestions and remarks, I know this isn't exactly world class art here, but once in a while I get hung up on these insignificant little exercises, and tho there's certainly not an earth shaking picture in the making, it's fun to try to get it right. Thanks,

KennethD
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:38 AM   #7

I feel you man...

Another suggestion? Hold the shutter open for a long exposure say 30 seconds, then using a Maglite or some other bright torch as a temporary burst of light to expose (cover it with your hand then remove quickly to allow a bright burst at a controlled spot). I have done a few like this- none of them have really done what I wanted them to and I reverted to a candle. It is fun however especially when it nearly works!

Good luck cant wait for the results...

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote