Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:06 AM   #1

Hi All,

My first post in Critiques and Techniques. I must be feeling a bit masochistic today!

I took these earlier in the year with my S5500. They have been cropped a bit but no post editing. Any advice on how to improve them would be cool as currently I'm going through my photos of this year and spending some time trying to enhance some. Exif data should come through with them.

O.K. I'm sitting down now . . .
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:09 AM   #2

. . . and the other
Attached Images

Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:15 AM   #3

O.K guys. I get the hint . . . No comments . . . I'll sell my cameras, buy some walking boots and take a hike . . . :blah:
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:33 AM   #4
Super Moderator

i think the problem here is the subject.. its not a very photogenic bird to say the least..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:14 AM   #5

I guess not Hards, but hey you should see my ex!!
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:56 AM   #6

Hi,

Given the unsightly subject, the DOF is a little shallow. If you look at the end of his (beak? nose? whatever..) you will see that it is slightly blurred while the eyes and face are pretty darn sharp! The background is quite nice too... it is always (in my opinion) a good idea when blurring the background in this fashion that it is clean and pretty simple. You have a nice green colour which is good - the bits on the left are a "little" distracting but hey you can't pose these creatures.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Overall I think even though he is pretty ugly it is not a bad shot.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Post us some more!!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:02 AM   #7

Hi! Thanks Dom,

This bird never kept still for more than a moment, was running around all over the place and I almost gave up. The DOF is definately a problem here. How can I get this right? I often find with shots like this and especially macro shots, the DOF is very shallow. Something I'm trying to work on and any tips would be a great help. There was no post editing, the blurred backround is symptomatic of the shallow DOF I think.

regards ISOS
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:57 AM   #8

Hi,

Depends on so many things - welcome to the world of photography! First off what camera are you using? Can you override the auto? Do you know the settings (A / T / P / M / etc) and what they do? These things are where you start.

To geta deeper DOF use (A)perture priority. Set the DOF as you like. If the shutter speed drops to the point of needing a tripod (usually under 1/60 unless you are super steady) you can use the flash (probably terrible form but it works for me) again this depends on the flash you have and how close the subject is, if you cannot achieve this you need to go fully manual- this enables you to select the aperture / shutter speed combo. Then you will need to have perfect lighting or usecompensation.

Have fun,

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote