Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:41 PM   #1

Why Did this Happen???:?

I was just using my Olympus E-500 for the first time and fooling around with the settings and during a few of the shots, when Flash was used the shots came out blue??? The only difference between the shots in the "Historgram" is theWhite Balance was set to Custom WB1. Any body wanna help this Noob with some tips and possibly explain what's going on here??

drmrsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

its because of the custom wb1.. which is your white balance.. if you do not set your custom white balance (read the manual on how to do so) for that particular lighting situation, your colors will be WAY off... so unless you have set your custom white balance then just keep it in auto for now.. auto will do a fairly decent job in MOST situations.. when you are in tough, mixed, lighting situations.. that is when you want to either set a custom white balance or shoot in RAW and white balance it later..

so no worries, your camera is fine..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:12 PM   #3

If you set the custom WB with a white or gray sheet it doesn't assume you will use the flash. It is for available light. Most cameras do fine for flash shots in auto.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

nvm...
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:54 PM   #5

You will always hacve to redo a custom white balance reading if you decide to use a flash.* unless you did the original reading with one then the reverse is true.* The only way this wouldn't be the situation is if you are using a full auto mode.slipe wrote:
Quote:
If you set the custom WB with a white or gray sheet it doesn't assume you will use the flash.* It is for available light.* Most cameras do fine for flash shots in auto.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:59 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the problem with trying to use a custom wb with a flash is that most of the custom white balances are done with a piece of paper close up so you can fillthe frame.. if you were then to shoot something at a normal shooting distance with flash.. the flash will not be the only light source now, and thus you will have a mix of lighting and this will throw off your custom white balance..

best way.. shoot raw.. white balance in post-process using a neutral point in the picture..
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:41 PM   #7

Thanks for the info guys, went back to the Manual and it appears that I had set the WB mode to 3000K "Shooting For Tungsten Light" So since there was no Tungsten light the Flash over compensated causing the blue hue, Reset it it back to AUTO for now and photos are fine.

This whole digital jargon has me scratching my head, because I'm just scracthing the surface of the ability of this camera and Digital Photography in general.

Thanks again gang!
drmrsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:29 PM   #8

White balance indeed was the problem. Read the manual on adjusting this.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote