Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:52 AM   #1

I really dont do much landscape photography. Anyway its all a learning curve. Let me know what ways this might work and which ways not.

Thanks

LB
Attached Images

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:05 PM   #2
Super Moderator

you nailed the lighting and exposure.. of course, i wouldnt expect any less from you.. the mist looks great and i like the diffuse glow layer for this shot too as it adds to the ethereal misty look.. so overall its appealing..

but.. not everything has to be pano (pictures can be made of 1 shot too, really, i swear, i have done it.. hehe).. it has left your shot a little bare in the middle.. i actually don't think you need the left hand side of the shot.. not that much going on over there.. the interests for me are on the right.. the interactions between the mist, the golden colors and the trees.. don't be afraid to turn your camera to portrait orientation and really make use of your foreground and lead ins.. and to give you shot some expanse and depth..

here is my favorite part of the scene.. there is a lot of potential here..

Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:48 PM   #3

I agree with all of hards praise of this shot, I do disagree somewhat of his crop. I think the section from where hards ended his crop on the left, to the bushes on the left could be left out if you wanted to do a little selective middlecrop and photoshop work. But losing that whole section on the left makes this shot seem overbright and a little boring. I like the dark bookends to put the mist and light in perspective. Plus there is some intersting stuff over there for me such as the way the mist moves over the hedge row. My 2 cents...
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:53 PM   #4

Hi,

I'm with tigger on this one... sorry Dustin! I also spotted the "book-ends" and thought this just had my eyes darting from left to right I just couldn't possibly pick a favourite part of this image other than all of it. I really like the effect that it has also...

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:50 PM   #5
Super Moderator

fair enough, you dont always have to agree..

but i wasnt trying to say the crop i did was the best presentation.. i was just saying i liked the elements in this part of the scene... hence, the comment on the potential..

after initially taking in the overall appealing presentation, i then just looked at the compostion.. so i asked myself, without the appealing effects, would i like it.. and if not, what could be improved.. then, with the improvements made on just the comp, the effects would only add onto this, increasing the overall appeal..

so bottom line, i liked the shot, just being overly analytical for the sake of discussion and i know that LB would not mind me being a bit overly analytical.

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:57 PM   #6

oh and by the way man, u gotta change that avatar. I have to question my sexuality every time I see it :blah:

..........and my fitness rutine
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:40 PM   #7

i have to say i love this photo lboy. i love the pano aspect and the colors and the fog... it's great. this is the type of photo i wish was in my collection. great work, you keep on amazin me, although i guess i shouldn't be by now.

one question though, do you move between shots when taking panos like this, or any for that matter i guess. what i'm gettin at is if you dont move and you just turn the camera angle wont you end up with a sort of curved image that will need to be cropped extensively in the middle portion, creating a narrower photo?

-mike-

johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:51 PM   #8

I simply say I am in with Mike.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:19 AM   #9

Sure, everyone here has valid points to make, and Dustins are appreciated and balanced.

Quote:
but.. not everything has to be pano (pictures can be made of 1 shot too, really, i swear, i have done it.. hehe)..
I will post more straight shots if thats what you'd like Dustin. I just seem to be having fun this year with Pano's. Still I wouldn't want to bore you.:blah:I did post six straight shots last month, don't forget.

The diffused glow layer is a neat little trick. Actually there was no mist on this day. There was a haze in the far trees but no more than that. So if the mist is not too dis-believable then I'll be happy about that. Especially since it was a first effort and only decided on giving it a go as I was playing with this photograph.

Mike,

You do get curves appearing on long pano's but only where lines in the scene fairly close to the camera exist. For example a street where the distance to the kerb straight ahead is much shorter than to the left or right as you turn around. In a landscape where the distance is almost infinite in all directions, the curving doesn't happen, or is not apparent.

So yes I do just kinda spin around on the spot. although I have stitched shots together from different locations, but that can be very difficult to do cleanly.

As usual thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote