Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:30 PM   #2

and another . . .
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:17 AM   #3

Having now seen many of Julies and Jaki's flower pics I'm not sure I have a future with taking more in the spring and summer.

Some tips/feedback would be helpful thanks.

Lboy wrote in Purpose of Forum:

"I would suggest to newcomers that are not receiving much feedback, (and as I have done in the past), is to go ahead and bump their post up to the top, with a further request for attention. "
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:26 AM   #4

I really like the second pic ISoS. Could have probably done with a touch more DoF though. But in all it works for me.

Now go back where you came from hippy!:blah:
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:43 AM   #5

Syd, you made me laugh for a long long time when you said you took LBoys advice to bump the picture up. That is what I have been doing since i joined the forum. I came to learn and to learn I shall by... or ....! Never mind! :G

Now serious stuff
: I like #1 becauseit sharp, in focus on the stamen is good. What needs to be done: boost colour. The yellow colour is pretty when it is saturated. So the colours need to pop out. The lighting was not good that is why the shadows are visible - see stamen. Low light unless a specific intention is desired stunts colours. I use my handheld flash or light bulb for more light or a lot of natural light. In fact someone said to me lighting is what makes the difference between a good shot and a bad shot.

Cropping: needs to be purposeful, a clear artistic quality is intended. I learnt this from Julie.

Post processing: Don't be afraid to post process. I read somewhere that all pros do it. Once, Dustin spoke extensively about this. As I learn more about how to use software, my shots also improve. In the edit I have done three things: rotated 270 degrees, cropped, brightened and contrasted. I could do more...

Background: can enhance or interfere with the beautify of a picture. I have learnt to use DOF, artificial backgrounds, etc.

Angle of shooting: chose an angle that is noticeable. That is the viewer will see the difference because of the artistic quality added by the angle of shooting.

#2 is definitely a wonderful shot: However, I think more dof would have put the entire flower into focus. I have been adviced that f16-22 works very well. Experiment has shown this to be true.

I owe this to Julie and observing. One day Julie had the generosity of writing down for me how she does it. I hope I have been helpful. Kind regards. Jaki. :|Shoot more and post.

Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:01 AM   #6

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Syd, you made me laugh for a long long time when you said you took LBoys advice to bump the picture up. Before he said so, that is exactly what I have been doing since i joined the forum. I never allow myself to be discourage.

Now about your shot. #1 I like it

Thanks Jaki,

I'm suprised you haven't gone blind with all that time you've been spending in Frank's threads over on the other channel. :?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:31 AM   #7

Syd, I do a lot of work in between. I get to the forum to chill off... Now I have made another post. Had to edit and write that is why my post was incomplete sorry for that. The edit is not meant to be perfect just using it as a demonstration. Kind regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:56 AM   #8

Thanks Jaki, you give good critique!

Syd
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:56 AM   #9

Hi ISoS!

Nice bumping...I didn't even see these at the time they were originally posted!

Pic #1- I'm taking that this is a yellow lily? If so, yellow is very hard to capture without blowing highlights in bright light. If you can, try to photograph again in diffused light...you will be surprised at how much better it works out for you and the yellow will pop more. DOF looks great.

Pic #2- Beautiful flower! I like the muted colors of this capture. The foreground petals of this flower could use more DOF. I find the composition attractive.

Keep 'em coming! :|

~~StitchBabe~~

:crazy:
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:01 PM   #10

yes the yellow flower is a bit washed out, jaki's edit is a great improvement. softer more even/diffused light will make your colors pop more without blowing the highlights.* the 2nd is definitely a stronger image, the color is better- could use a bit more DoF, not a bad effort though
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote