Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:54 PM   #1

Loved the colours in this one and played around with in Photoshop. Comments appreciated . . .
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:01 AM   #2

Thought I had better post the original for you critiques . . .
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:15 AM   #3

I'm trying to remember the name of one of the filters used... is it Poster Edges? or ink something? At any rate, it does make things pop, especially saturated things, however, I'd be careful in using it. You lose definition in fine lined areas like the wording of "orange juice" and it becomes unreadable. You want the eye to focus on the color of something like this, not "hey, what does that say... if i squint my eyes and look at it..."

Of course, this is just my opinion, and short of that, i really do like the added saturation you have added! Keep it up! Play around! Have fun!
Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4

Hi and thanks for your comments they are very much appreciated.

The process I made an attempt at went something like this. First adjust contrast, saturation, levels, brightness etc until satisfied then Filter - find edges. At this stage the edges can be converted to B&W and levels adjusted, but here I think I kept the edges in colour. Then I either used overlay or multiply and then adjusted until happy. Thing is, as you have pointed out, I found I had to sacrifice some finer details to avoid grainy noise and lack of detail and contrast. But hey! I think this was one of my first attempts and I really haven't got to grips with layers yet or indeed understand the basic principles. I'm gonna get a decent book and or some video tutorials as I'm finding my lack of knowledge and experience very limiting in achieving the desired result.

I like the revitalising Ginseng coffee.

I had to wait quite a while to get a shot of this when no one was waiting to be served. The next pic (snap) shows how busy and popular this place got.

[align=center]More to the point - it's great fun! [/align]
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Super Moderator

it kind of reminds me of cell shading... if you are not familiar with that, its away of shading 3d polygons in computer graphics.. it gives them a 3d cartoon type of look.. which you have going on here.. watch your crops.. you have cut off the top of the hut.. :O

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:47 PM   #6

"cell shading - 3d polygons" ?? Boy I have sooooo much to learn.. I'm going to enjoy getting to know all this. And watch out - I'm getting a Wacom intuos graphics tab for Christmas which shoud be fun. I'm still not sure how to deal with selected areas yet though!

Thanks for the advice re crops, again good advice, thank you!
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:33 PM   #7

the comic book type look to the first shot is cool. interesting edit but i think it works for this shot in my opinion

-mikej-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:01 PM   #8

Thanks mike, I really am just fumbling around at the moment. A lot of fun though. I got real excited when I first discovered curves n stuff. Great avatar - nice style.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:02 PM   #9

thanks. yeah ps is really fun to experiment with, but it's a little frustrating to think i'm not able to take full advantage of all its features yet.

-mikej-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:58 PM   #10
Super Moderator

there are very few ppl who can take advantage of ALL of the features.. there is just so much that can be done.. photographers need not know most of them though.. just the basics..

-d
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote