Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:14 PM   #11

i used to do this a lot. try to make a bad picture a good one by post processing it to make it look more artistic. most of the time it doesn't work.

perhaps you can try to reshoot it again. in my opinion this is just a snapshot- a photo that wasn't given a thought to about how it was going to be shot and didn't take in the environmental consideration.

if you wantto be better you have to realize all that. strive to be better. its easier to achieve these days with digital cameras. we can shoot 100-200 pictures now and delete at will what we don't like.

good luck.

- bert
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:02 PM   #12

Seem to me like a new kind of photography. Sorry folks, sometimes certain things are just out of th blue.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 4:27 AM   #13

Absolutely Bert. I really need to learn to take better shots in the first place. As it happens I did take a good 50 shots in this location and am pleased with some. I made a print from one of the shop front and gave it to my friend. He was really pleased.

Aumma, I call it Phartograffix. Is it art or photography or just Phart?
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:10 AM   #14

you should look up the very basics of composition... look up on the "rules of thirds"

it helps GREATLY!!
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:41 AM   #15

OUCH!!

How does the rule of thirds work in portraits and macro shots? I really am a novice.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:53 AM   #16

I'm confused . . . does it go something like this?
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:24 AM   #17

That's exactly it!

And believe it or not, it REALLY works!

And if you find Syd, tell him his mother is looking for him
Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:40 AM   #18

I can't help with Neat Image. I used the demo a long time ago and can't remember specifics.

I think most of us get the occasional grab shot that isn't perfectly exposed. Or shoot with so much dynamic range you have to bring up the shadows. Burned out highlights can't be fixed – they are just gone. So you often want to bring up shadows, and that involves noise. Post processing is important IMO with small sensor digital cameras.

Flash helps of course if you are within flash range, but if you need things both in the foreground and background flash can exacerbate the problem.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:55 AM   #19

Hi Lux, I get your point.

Snipes, thank for the advice again. I do like low ambient light interior scenes. I hope to get it right one day.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:17 AM   #20

the rule of thirds is not a rule that one has to abide by 100 percentof the time. the rule of thirds is a way to help you to set up a shot that tells a story. its a concept to know and to understand. believe me it will help a great deal from turning mediocre photos into great photos. and that i think separates the snapshots to a great photo.

MY photo that you demonstrated, yes, i set it up that way and yes i processed it my way. it was not done by accident. i am satisfied with it and so i shared it. now whether you like it or not is all a personnal choice.

my personal belief is, well i spend a lot of money on my camera($600 for a G5 was pretty expensive to me when it was new) so i might as well learn how to make the most of it. learn its uses and its limitations. i am nowhere near as good as i'd like but no one can ever say i don't try to be better.

by the way... i looked it up for anyone interested.
the rule of thirds.
http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/John..._of_Thirds.htm there are LOTS and i mean lots of sites regarding the rules of thirds. just google it.

-bert