Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1

A friend owns and runs a lovely little shop selling ethnic clothes and trinklets. I took a load of shots as everything is so colourful. However, all shots were pretty dark, indicating (I think) too fast a shutter speed. I played around with this one in PS and here are the results. The last one is the untreated original. Again, any comments would be most welcome. Thank you kindly . . .
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:16 PM   #2

and the sepia version . . .
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:19 PM   #3

and here is the awful original . . .
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Super Moderator

for these shots you are simply going to have to learn to use your flash.. do you have an external shoe mounted flash yet? if you do not, then getting one is adviseable as it allows you to get your flash further from your lens and also swivels and tilts for bounce flash..

learning to use flash effectively (i am probably not as good at it as i should be as i don't do much indoors) takes a fair amount of practice though, so be prepared for something new to learn!!

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:59 PM   #5

I didn't see the original. I used your first modified image and applied some noise reduction. It is also toned down a little with selective color.
Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 1:25 PM   #6

The full image came up only after I started on the first one. I like this a little better, but it is a hard image to work with.
Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 2:38 PM   #7

Thanks again Hards for some good advice. I used to hate using the flash but am comming round to it sloowly. I have also found that stickiing a king size Rizzla over the flash softens things a bit. I haven't got an external flash unit yet but it is defo on my list. Lighting generally is something I need to read up about and learn the principles involved. I do prefer natural light but achieving results is another thing. I'm going to give reflectors a try outdoors once this massive cloud of toxic smoke looming above the UK at the moment has travelled to the US.

Would love to spend a week in Frank's studio.

Slipe - Way to go dude! I love what you've done here. What's the secret? I could do with some tips on noise reduction. I have just downloaded Neat Image and trying to find my way around. I got lost trying to set a default image for my S9500. At the moment it feels like I'm entering the world of rocket science.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 2:47 PM   #8
Super Moderator

anytime your image is underexposed and dark, the noise will be much worse.. so getting a proper exposure is the first step in reducing noise..

with the neatimage, noise-ninja, etc.. don't overdo it.. if you overdo the noise reduction you will obliterate all of the details.. so its all about finding a balance..

and when in doubt converting to mono will make the noise less problematic as it will be more akin to film grain..

-dustin
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:14 PM   #9

The flash will allow you do a handheld. You had a 1/18 shutter and thats too slow for handheld... It is for me. You could go with a longer exposure if you used a tripod but then the highlights blow(The lights) to bring out the dark. You don't want to get into blending multi exposures do ya? It's fun...

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:15 PM   #10
Super Moderator

also, with longer exposures.. ppl move... and then you get motion blur.. for low-light moving subjects, you run out of options.. so you must resort to flash.. which, when used correctly, can look nice.. just many ppl do not use it effectively, so it gets a bad rap...

-d