Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:53 PM   #1

I'm looking to learn and improve anywhere possible. Please let me know both the good and bad.
Attached Images

mattroth54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:21 PM   #2

First thing... GET SOME CLOTHES ON THAT KID!

Just kiddin!

Ok, my humble opinion... crop it... at least slightly.

The white on the wave in the distance, as well as the far upper right, where you can see things likethefar beach shore lineare a bit of a distraction. Of course, trimming that, i'd also suggest taking out just a little off the bottom to balance it. It seems like it's a tad noisey, so you may want to run a program like Noise Ninja on it or what not if you have it. I really do love the shadow and reflection right by each other that occured though.

Generally its a great shot, those are just my humble opinions.
Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:34 PM   #3

I was thinking the same thing about the noise. Two questions about that:

1) How would I adjust the camera to prevent this in the future? (Nikon D50)

2) Could you elaborate on how to improve the noise on this shot? I've never heard of Ninja Noise or any type of software to fix this. I am just getting the feel of ArcSoft photoediter.

Thanks for the crop tip, much improved!
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:40 PM   #4

The main thing here is RULE OF THIRDS. It not a law but it would help here. What that means is your main subject should not be in the middle... Picture a tic-tac-toe board. Your subject should skirt around the middle box but not in it. But the baby is in the middle. The crop Luxowell suggestedis the cure. And it would be a shame to loose the reflection so don't crop any of it out even if it doesn't comply with the Rule of Thirds completely.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:50 PM   #5

I cut a bit of the bottom. It keeps looking better!
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:25 PM   #6

well, noise ninja is a $34 program (for the stand alone)... cheap for fixing already messed up photos, but best to learn a few basics so you avoid grain in the first place!

Ok, the biggest thing i can tell you is this. I got money on the fact you were shooting in a manual mode. Also, I bet you made the same mistake I used to, going back to buying film. Oh! 400 or faster speed is more expensive AND I don't need as much light! It must be better!

Umm..well... not always.

Move the ISO mode down... probably no more than 200 on a sunny day at the beach... IF that. The higher ISO films need less light to operate, for sure... and if the action is somewhat fast and you need a flash, go for it. However, when you can use a lower ISO, I'd suggest it. Don't stress too much about it. I'm a novice too... and pretty far from a know it all, but hey, we're here to learn from each other, right?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:34 PM   #7

DOH! I checked my settings...I WAS shooting in Program mode, ISO set at 800! I found a noise reduction program called Neat Image with a free demo. Without knowing much about what I was doing, here it the reduced noise version:

Another newbie question, why did the size of the file drop so much after reducing the noise?
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:36 PM   #8

OK, i ran it through the demo version of Neat Image (easy to find via a google search) which doesn't let you have high quality output in demo mode, but its better than nothing. I also tried to crop it closer to the rule of 3's... but it was kinda tough to get in the water and everything, so this is closer, but not perfect. I still think this is a hell of a shot though!
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:37 PM   #9

lol...looks like i was a little slow with the reply!

The file size dropped because neat image demo version only puts out in a lower quality jpeg... so its not as sharp, technically speaking... but hey, for web use, it looks a lot cleaner.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:44 PM   #10

It looks good on the computer, but is that lower quality jpg suitable for prints?