Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 21, 2005, 6:49 PM   #11

What amagnificent capture that is Dustin I have spent countless hours shooting the Mallards here on one of our Golf Courses and have never been lucky enough as you have to get all the proudly displayed colors he is rewarding you with. You are right about the colors, they change with the seasons. Notice the Blue on the Males wingin the upper right, That will fade also.

GoodShot!

Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:12 PM   #12

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
cleaned it up for ya..look better?
I think so.
belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:14 PM   #13
Super Moderator

thanks jim and luis!

winter is the best time to shoot mallards for sure.. i have a few more that i will post.. but i think this one is my favorite..

appreciate the comments everyone..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:37 PM   #14

Dustin, won't say what has been said but is it not a problem that you mutilated three of those poor birds?
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:51 PM   #15
Super Moderator

aumma, it is not a problem for me because they are out of focus and in the background.. they are not the main subject, so i do not mind cropping them off..thanks for commenting..

-dustin
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:10 AM   #16

That is a wise answer. Honestly, I just wanted to know what kind of answer you would give. I think that isa great one. Merry Xmass and Happy New Year.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:38 AM   #17

Hi Dustin, good to see you posting, I think these are the first shots I've seen of yours since the saturated park photos.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I like the re-edit with the exrements cloned out, one thing thats proving slightly distracting for me on my un-calibrated work monitor is that the orange of the leg of the duck seems slightly over-saturated, making it look a bit unnatural. Otherwise, its a great shot.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Btw - From some of your past avatars, you seemed like a gym instructor, then in one of your posts you said you were a software developer and now you studying a PHD! How do you find time to post so often?
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 1:01 AM   #18
Super Moderator

hey john and aumma..

thanks for the comments.. i swear the duck's legs really are that orange.. in the winter as was mentioned previously their legs turn a brilliant orange and the migrating birds that have been in canada can even have nearly red legs..

anyways, i have posted since the park a couple times.. i have been busy with grant applications and such for my phd work.. i am able to post so much because so much of my work is on the computer i just keep an internet browser open and switch to it when i am thinking about something or need a break.. works out nicely..

anyways, i just finished some major projects so i hope to be posting more again.. if the weather cooperates with me anyways..

cheers and happy holidays to all!

-dustin
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:13 AM   #19

Came in late here Dustin, looks like like everything's already been said - really nice shot, fantastic colouring the drake mallard is blessed with, especially on the wings.

My favourite duck both on and off the table :G.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:19 AM   #20

Beautiful image,Dustin.Excellent exposure and just the right amount of dof
good job:-)
Andrew
shaggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote