Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:03 PM   #1

This is an ad I created using my 2004 Honda Element EX. (slightly custom) I took the Photo with my Eos 20D, 28-135mm IS USM lens. Then the image was edited in Adobe Photoshop Elements (hehe) 2.0.

Please let me know what you think? What do you like? What don't you like? Suggestions for improvement?

I don't like the shadow on the side of the Element but in this location this was unaviodable.

Attached Images

matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i like the golden sunlight, but don't care for the shadows...

the rest of the add looks good.. except your second sentence, "and it turns out.." that is a very awkward sentence structure.. you may reword that so its a simple direct statement. also your second to last sentence is a bit run-on.. just break it up into 2 or 3 statements.. in advertisements keep the sentence structure as simple as possible.. the format looks good though..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:18 PM   #3

Matt,

I've taken a bazillion car pictures... Shadows will kill it everytime. If it wern't for that I say the picture is very nice.

Funny... I never pictured you as an Element kind of guy...

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:23 PM   #4

the words on the ad are from Honda's offical site. Unchanged. Yeah I really don't like the shadows
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:26 PM   #5

as for me not being the element type. I'm really more of a jeep guy. I have a 1998 jeep wrangler white with a black soft top. As for what I drive mostly that would be my 1990 Ford Ranger XLT...it has 200,000 plus miles. Currently it is broken down. I got the Element for my wife. But the element is freakin' sweet. Nice stereo! lots of leg room!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:28 AM   #6

But why is someone not telling Mate how to rid the photo of the shadow? That Honda is class, your wife must be a very luck woman to have you, he ehe he.:-)
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:58 PM   #7

Well, it is simple I could have moved. The Car. I'm not a big fan of photoshoping a photo that much. My goal in photography is to get it right the first time...in the camera!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:38 PM   #8

I think your missing a very important tool by not using PS to edit your photos. Sure, you want to be technically proficient in your medium and thats great, but one thing that photoshop can give you is a level playing field. Professionals on a car photoshoot will have 10s of thousands of dollars in extra lighting, meteres, equipments to get their ad shots "right" If you can acomplish nearly the same effect using a 100 dollar editing program, all the better.

*start rant here, not directed at you personally mat, just my 2 cents

I always think its funny when people dont do post with the digital medium. thats pretty much what it was designed for. If you want better looking photos out of the camera, you are better off shooting film. DSLRs in particular are disgned so the image coming right out of them is in need of post so you can sharper or soften to your liking, contrast etc.

VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:13 PM   #9

Matt

Having taken 28,500 photos of cars and other vehicles (my hobby), I've developed an "eye" for the shot. The first thing I look for is the right background (not distracting, but complementary) and lighting. The shadows on the Element are the first thing my eyes went to. Why post process when you could have parked the car in a better spot a few feet away?
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:05 PM   #10

Mate, take the cue and combine right with editing. I have a feeling that even the professional will always do some post processing even if they don't admit it. I have seen some terrific shots and whether they admitted it or not, some form of post processing was inevitable. At first I thought the same as you do. I thought post processing was actually cheating but now, I changed my mind.

Cheers.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote