Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 23, 2005, 4:14 AM   #1

Yesterday was my youngest daughter's 5th birthday and we went to see Cinderella the pantomime. We sat in the back row of the balcony, which was at the very least 250 feet away from the stage.

I took my new S9500 and took a few shots, all hand held and without a flash at 400 ISO. The results were a little grainy to say the least. Exif info should be embedded.

This one I have tried to tidy up a bit. I wondered if anyone can give me any tips/methods for sharpening and loosing noise. I have PS and Neatimage (haven't got to grips with this yet).

Pretty much, all the shots were taken at 300mm. I have attached the original crop below this one. Thought this would give me a good excerise in this aspect, or are they just crappy shots that could have been taken better. Whatever, I would appreciate your comments.
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 4:19 AM   #2

Here's the original crop.
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:45 PM   #3

Please tell me how you color corrected the image, I have no idea how you got that result. You'll have to tell me how close it is to the way it actually looked though, I'm just guessing that you got it pretty accurate.

When I started reading up on noise reduction tools, I read that you're supposed to apply it before making any other adjustments. In most cases though, I find the opposite to be true. I applied a color balance adjustment layer first, then copied the image to a new layer and applied Noise Ninja to it. I then added a hue/saturation layer to tone down some of the colors.

I think the best thing may have been to take photos in RAW, but I know that with that camera it takes like 10 seconds of waiting before you can shoot another one. It's just that with RAW it's a lot easier to correct the colors in post.
Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:56 PM   #4

I made one more attempt. This time I did try applying Noise Ninja first, but I only applied it to the color noise. I used a slightly different hue/saturation adjustment and then use CS2's reduce noise filter on the luminosity noise. I think CS2's filter is not as good as Neat Image or Noise Ninja in general, especially at color noise, but it can often times be real good at cleaning up luminosity noise while preserving detail.

Attached Images

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:20 PM   #5

If you don't mind I did it in B&W. Hope you like it. Could not get rid of the grainy look.

Kind regards. Happy Holidays.

Jaki.
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote