Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:26 AM   #1

There is another example of conversion from color to b/w where I'm not satisfied.

Want to know your point of view why the image is as I think a little FLAT.

I perform simple saturation changing to b/w.

When converting to b/w, is it only through saturation changing or there is possibilities to use a channels and drag out the best one, or there is another way that I do not know.

Thanks and regards

Attached Images

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:28 PM   #2

ZAKD, please explain what you mean by "flat".

Kind regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:25 PM   #3

I don't think the lighting is all the bad. You could have used a hairlight to throw some dimension and higlight in there. Pose it not the best, very stiff. Head tilted a bit and legs slightly apart would have helped. This stance reminds of The Wizard of Oz when the Tin Man was swaying back and forth with his feet fixed in one spot. Not sure if she has large hands but the hotspot on that front hand and maybe it being close to the camera is making it look large.

Even though I have pointed out alot of things, I think lighting wise, this is one of your better attempts.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:31 PM   #4

If you take a nice, clean color image and desaturate it fully, it does tend to look a bit flat. The color information adds a lot to the texture of the image. Try adding noise or grain, and increasing the midtones a bit. I Have tried the grain tool in PSE3 and it works OK, but I like that in Photoimpact much better. There are other, stand alone and plugins, that work pretty well too. Virtual Photographer plugin has a lot of presets, and each can be customized.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:01 AM   #5

You were right her handslook a bit big. The photo was taken from a little below level in consideration the arms and head...my mistake.

Yes, I did a simple saturation changning. I will try increasing the middle tones but I did not try ever to add grain or noise (I ussually reduce them)....have to try to see how effect.

The pose is not so good...should have done it better.

With FLAT or better say PLAINimage, I was thinking that image has nothing speciall in lightning or the image is "dead" nothing to increase interest in black and white parts or even color parts....just a shape showing no attraction to look at.

So, nothing much to imrove the image...better to do another one.

Thanks and regards

Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:32 PM   #6

Thanks Zak. Make another try. I was once told that the best place to make a picture is with a camera. The studio: pc or traditional should only enhance this. I guess that would make the picture above very appealing.

Kind regards.

Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote