Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:30 PM   #1

I did shot film 15 years ago but have not touched a camera except for point and click since then. I bought a 20d and a Sigma 70-300 APO DG lense a couple of weeks ago. These are the first real shots I have done with it. They are straight out of the camera in .jpg. I have not done any processing. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks! Paul

Attached Images

dzstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:31 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:31 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:07 AM   #4

Paul welcome to the forum. A great place to be indeed. One thing I noticed immediately is the softness. I can see the light is good. You did well with DOF, Don't whether it was intentional or not the focus seem to be on a particular part of the bird, for the beginning, I think you have started well. Keep posting.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:03 PM   #5
Super Moderator

welcome indeed..

i like the depth of field in the first one, but you cut off the beak, and it being a major body part in the area of interest of the shot, its a definate mistake..

i would like to see the feet in the 2nd shot, its a bit awkward of a composition with just the body of the bird..

the last one is just a little too centered and lacking in eye contact..

also, you are going to need to do somepost-process with a dslr..the manufactures set their cameras up tobe a littlesoft and lackingin contrast and saturation on purpose.. this gives you control over your image in post.. so pick up a good editing software, maybe photoshop elements or paint shop pro x.. and pick up a nice book to go along with it.. learn the basics of sharpening,levels, curves, etc.. you will be surprised what some very minorpost-work can do foryour pics..

like i said, welcome to the forum, look forward to tracking your progress.. you are off to a good start, and lets see some more when you get a chance to get back out with you're cam..

best of luck to ya,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote