Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:35 AM   #1

This is the first time I have shot in RAW with my S9500. I saved the file as .tiff is there a way to convert it to .jpeg from .tiff. (Need to send the property owners a copy.

Any tips as to how I could better edit is appreciated.

Attached Images

shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:52 AM   #2

Spectacular shot Shadow,

I am certainly no expert but try opening the image in PS or even the free Microsoft Picture It that comes free with XP, then Save As, but highlighting the Jpeg option. Hope this works. I really like this shot a lot.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:00 AM   #3

Thanks ISoS for your praise. This is the first time I have shot in RAW let alone try to edit one. I think I have lost a bit of color during the process. I will try to fiddle around with it some more and post another edit later.

I thought I had lost my original RAW file but I was able to find it and resave as a .jpeg

Do you know if the format matters when taking it to the photolab in regards to .jpeg and .tiff?
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:07 AM   #4

"Do you know if the format matters when taking it to the photolab in regards to .jpeg and .tiff?"

I have no idea I'm afraid. I'm very much a newbie myself. I haven't tried shooting in RAW yet. Images I have edited in Picture Window 2.5 and have saved in tiif, I have noticed are incredibly large files. I don't know enough to understand any of this, but hopefully someone on here will explain.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:38 AM   #5

Nice effort Shadow - from my perspective the background's a little washed out and the thistle could do with a bit of detail showing. That could be total hogwash of course, but just mypersonal impressions. Great subject & idea 'wee laddy' :-)

PS - maybe crop off a bit ofthe lower foreground as well?
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:53 AM   #6

Well I think I did a little better with this edit. I did this one in JPEG though instead of in TIFF. And when I converted to JPEG from RAW I think I had different setting to the original post.

Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:15 AM   #7

i much prefer the edit, nice effort.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:10 AM   #8

I agree with Julie, this is much better. This one grabs me even more. Agree with Steve too, maybe chop of a bit of the bottom.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:50 AM   #9

All I cropped was the bottom. I don't know if I should have cropped a bit tighter on the left side.

I also thought I would try my hand at a copyright thinga-ma-jig too. Not too over the top?
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Super Moderator

shadow,

this is a good shot, very nice eye, and presented well.. though i wish the lighting around the stems illuminated them just a bit more to seperate them from the horizon.. but its still a great shot!

i think though you missed the point of shooting RAW, if i understood you correctly you just saved as TIF without adjusting?.. shooting RAW allows you to change the exposure (up to 2 stops on either side of exposure shot).. and allows you to white balance your pics after shooting.. as well as controlling contrast/saturation/sharpening, etc.. BEFORE converting to TIFF or JPEG.. without doing some RAW processing, a simple conversion of RAW to TIFF or JPEG will not be as good as shooting JPEG in the first place as the RAW image will not have much sharpness or saturation.. so i encourageyou toread upon making the most of your RAW conversions..

what software are you using for your conversion?

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote