Attached Images

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:31 PM   #2

No picture again!!?! :?
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:32 PM   #3

Sorry couldn't resist that.

Nice shot! Definately worth waiting for.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:35 PM   #4

you had me worried then syd, thanks. Alex
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:52 PM   #5

since this is a critique forum, i'm going to add my 2 cents... er, tuppence... worth here...

the lighting is okay, though perhaps a bit overexposed. maybe just needs a touch more contrast. but the composition doesn't do anything for me. the clock tower could be photogenic enough, but with a much tighter shot, preferably from a low angle against a blue sky. as it is, the tower is obviously the focal point of the image, but there are too many distractions for it to stand out. try a closer crop, perhaps more to the right to get thatpier out of the image... it doesn't add anything, and just clutters the foreground. same with the bulding(s) to the right of the tower...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:57 PM   #6

OK... Ya did it. BEWARE OF ISoS. They'll be a banana joke any second... LOL...

This is a nice picture. I think the horizon is off just a tad.{tilted} PS can fix that.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:00 PM   #7

Hi Alex,

Well done for finally getting your photo onto the site! And welcome to the forum...

With regards to your photo a couple of points. That building surely is a funky colour! Looks like it could be good for a closer inspection. I do think that your shot is a little busy. The building itself is nice and the placement is ok but the thing in the foreground is a little distracting - the white posts are right across your main interest - or is that your main interest? Not too sure... also the crane sticking out in the background could be cloned out. Final point would be to go back on a decent sunny day with an interesting cloudy formation.

I have done a quick mod to show the crane gone and a slightly more interesting sky (not much but a quick one) - hope you don't mind...

Looking forward to some more shots of this building...

Dom
Attached Images

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:27 PM   #8

DOM!!!!!!

What did you do that for, the crane was holding up the tower (shoddy Welsh building standards again) - I predict the appearance soon of the Isod eco-friendly bio-degradable natural banana scaffolding taking its place.

Nice shot Alex - definitely an improvement on your night scenes
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

i think if you had taken a few steps to the right, you could have moved the thing in the water out from in front of the building.. i think by merely doing so it would really make this shot less busy as elements would not be stacked in front of each other.. also, don't cut off the top of the building next time.. leave a little room above your interest.. the exposure is a tad overexposed, leaving it slightly washed out, but not bad.. bracketing an exposure or shooting RAW and adjusting later would fix such a small mis-exposure..

but all-in-all i think you have a strong showing for your first post.. i will definately be looking forward to subsequent posts and tracking your progress..

best wishes,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:32 PM   #10

I am pretty much in agreement with everyone about this photo. The exposure looks good to me, though it seems as if the focus is too much in the foreground. as the (floating dock?) in the lower right seems to be sharper than the clock tower. I think I would like it a lot better if it had been taken farther to the observer's right. The pier and towers do detract from the composition. Boats and water in foreground work very well, though. I'm just guessing, but it appears that moving far enough right to get the church between the other buildings might require a boat, or very long legs. :-)Could very well be worthwhile to give it a try, though.

Good first post, I like the colors, and overall idea.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote