Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:44 AM   #11

The stones at Avebury are all cleaned up now, but cost a lot to put it right. You can still see slight traces in places.

This has occurred overnight on railway carriges, bridges, graves, war memorials . . . . you name it, it's there.

The thing is, this art will never be appreciated with such insensitive choices of canvas. On paper, in Japanese style graphic comic books maybe.

Mind you it has been going on for a while. I remember the "Eric Clapton is God" graffiti everywhere during the late 60's early 70's. At least they had taste in those days.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:43 PM   #12

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
I remember the "Eric Clapton is God" graffiti everywhere during the late 60's early 70's. At least they had taste in those days.
Depressing to see, it really is. There's not much around Ashford but the train to London's a different story. The suburbs there are covered in the stuff. It always amazes me why people risk life and limb to do this - train tracks, railway bridges, etc.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:20 PM   #13

Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:32 PM   #14

Hey SteveDak, I just saw this . . .

Writing is on the wall
at the Joburg Art Gallery

November 4, 2003
By Tammy O'Reilly
UNDERGROUND graffiti culture is taking its place in the mainstream with an unusual exhibition of photographs, The ones on top won't make it stop, currently on exhibition at the Johannesburg Art Gallery.
Making the work of the unknown graffiti artists visible, photographer Lolo Veleko's exhibition of pictures taken around Johannesburg and Cape Town opened at the gallery on Sunday 2 November. The photographs are accompanied by a video of South African and Swiss graffiti shot during her recent residency in Basel, Switzerland.
"I got the name from graffiti writing I saw while I was in Cape Town. The statement makes sense, especially for graffiti writers, because for many years people and parts of society have been trying to stop graffiti artists," said Veleko.
She maintains that graffiti is a means of expressing issues that the youth encounter in post-apartheid South Africa. "The global world thinks that South Africans are free and live in peace, whereas it is not so. The youth still struggle with identity and gender issues and the use of public spaces are used to express their concerns."
Veleko, a finalist in the 2003 MTN New Contemporaries Award, has had her work exhibited at the MuseuMAfrika in Newtown and at an exhibition in Switzerland.
Her show is on at the gallery until 2 December. (looks like you missed this Steve)

From The City of Johannesburg Website
Attached Images