Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1

i was at the pool hall with a friend of mine a couple of days ago. i thought the lighting accentuated the scene making it seem more personnal.
the background blur i added. thats the problem with non dslr cameras, its hard to create a background depth of field. my personal experience anyway.

what do you think?

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:20 AM   #2

I rather like this. The lighting is very effective.

It would have been nice if you could have kept him more in focus. The top of his head is slightly fuzzy and the right arm around the elbow is quite blurred. This is a tough shot, though, and I'm sure it's a lot better than I would have done.

You're right about the DOF issues with non-DSLR cameras. On the other hand, the DOF is pretty handy for landscapes, etc.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:04 PM   #3

Excellent shot Berto! Did he pot that black? I'm dyin' to know!
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:27 PM   #4

i like the atmosphere this shot conveys... the lighting is well done, and i like the way this shot focuses on the balls, and leaves the player just a little soft.as far as DOF, there's not a whole lot you can do about it with most non-DSLR cams, though you can use aperture control to minimize DOF if you want to, especially if there's any appreciable distance between subject and background. what kind of camera were you using?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:39 PM   #5

I really like this as well. I'd question the blurring of the lights, though, as I think with a DSLR they'd be in focus as well as the player. Other than that, good use of the cue & rest angling into the shot. I also like the other bloke facing away from the table, indicating that this is just one place of interest in a room of many.

It's strange seeing a pool player using a rest because over here the tables, balls and holesare much smaller (and we like to think more difficult too!).
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:39 PM   #6

Sorry, double post.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:23 PM   #7

thanks a lot everyone. it really was a tricky shot and these moments were unposed. so its a matter of finding the settings i liked and waiting and waiting for my friend to get to the angle i liked.

the table is standard sized and my friend is about 5'8. personally i wouldn't use the bridge but my friend is in it more to win and i'm more into it for fun. thought i did win all through that night

squirl033, i am using a Canon G5. if this camera had low noise and the ability to shoot up to iso 1600. WOW, it would be formidable. i am sure that since fuji just came out with P&S cameras reaching iso1600 that canon is not far behind. i hope it'll be on the next G series.
but still, my next purchase will be a dsLR.

thanks again for your thoughts everyone. i appreciate it greatly.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:37 PM   #8

Hi,

I would say just straighten the post in the background to the shot... it looks like all of the balls should be rolling across the table right now! But you are right the atmosphere is captured well in this shot.

Dom
DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:02 PM   #9
Super Moderator

i agree with the slight tipping of the shot.. with that fixed though, its a great shot.. very good lighting, good lines from the cues.. with the emphasis on the pool balls.. very nicely done!

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:36 AM   #10

I was the first to look at this one but did not know what to say. Thanks for all the comments. Have learnt something.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote