Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1

Folks, any appeals, comments, appreciation, etc. Welcome. Kind regards.

Jaki.
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:39 AM   #2

The foreground seems cut off while there's plentiful sky. It gives me the sensation of falling backwards. Also, I don't think that making it black and white really helped it considering 2/3 of the image is just sky, and the rest is made up of tiny buildings too small to make out. The only thing that stands out is the hill, which kind of looks like a landfill heap.

I guess if you were trying to achieve a sense of dreary emptiness then this probably works on that level. With the focal point being somewhere beyond the horizon, I get the impression that the photographer doesn't like this place and wants to fly away.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:17 AM   #3
Super Moderator

you need some work on the contrast here.. you are missing true whites and blacks here leaving it quite grey and flat..so play with the levels and curves a bit and see what you can come up with..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:57 AM   #4

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
I guess if you were trying to achieve a sense of dreary emptiness then this probably works on that level. With the focal point being somewhere beyond the horizon, I get the impression that the photographer doesn't like this place and wants to fly away.
Corpsy,

Are you trying to be rude? I really think you should contain your comments to the
picture and aspects of photography. This isn't funny. You should apologize to Jaki.
We all like having fun around her but this is at Jaki'sexpense.

dale

PS: Jaki... I appologize... You are the nicest kindest man and you shouldn't have to see this in your thread.

As for the picture go with Dustin's thought and ditto for me.
I'm to pi$$ed to offer anything more.

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:22 AM   #5

I would love to see this in colour/color Jaki.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:13 AM   #6

Syd, sorry I cannot give you this one in colour. The orginal one was in colour. When I converted it, I forgot to save it as a separate file. So I lost it. Even then it was such a dull shot. This is why I converted it to B&W.

Dear Corpsy had you seen the original one, perhaps you would have parted me on the back, for I did a lot of cropping, contrasting, etc, to improve this one. It is just that some shots never get to the level we want them to be even with the best software. As far as I am concerned I learnt something in playing around with it. In your comments, there are a lot of truth in what you have said, for instance, that is not really a hill. It is a heap of rubble from a disused gold mine. The fact that you have been so observant is to my credit that I am working. I wonder whether in a shot of this nature one can can really magnify the details. If you noticed, I focussed on the heap of rubble: the background and surround were just meant to give some detail around. Thank you very much for your helpful comments.

Dustin, the truth is I played around with the contrast but I think this one was already ruined from the beginning.

Dale, thanks for coming to my aid. It is always wonderful to know that I can always count on you in my moments of need:-). Sometimes, I suppose, we learn the hard way and this is one of those moments. Corpsy is recently arrived if you noticed. We shall remain nice and kind to him.

Kind regards to all of your folks for teaching me.
Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:27 AM   #7

Jaki,

I think you have taught us all a very special lesson here. You are definately the Guru.

Respect Dude

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:36 AM   #8

Speaking of corpses, did I ever show you my rather dreary & depressing ..............

(Aummas toxic mine dump waste I'm afraid:G)
Attached Images

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:30 AM   #9

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Syd, sorry I cannot give you this one in colour. The orginal one was in colour. When I converted it, I forgot to save it as a separate file. So I lost it. Even then it was such a dull shot. This is why I converted it to B&W.

Dear Corpsy had you seen the original one, perhaps you would have parted me on the back, for I did a lot of cropping, contrasting, etc, to improve this one. It is just that some shots never get to the level we want them to be even with the best software. As far as I am concerned I learnt something in playing around with it. In your comments, there are a lot of truth in what you have said, for instance, that is not really a hill. It is a heap of rubble from a disused gold mine. The fact that you have been so observant is to my credit that I am working. I wonder whether in a shot of this nature one can can really magnify the details. If you noticed, I focussed on the heap of rubble: the background and surround were just meant to give some detail around. Thank you very much for your helpful comments.

Dustin, the truth is I played around with the contrast but I think this one was already ruined from the beginning.

Dale, thanks for coming to my aid. It is always wonderful to know that I can always count on you in my moments of need:-). Sometimes, I suppose, we learn the hard way and this is one of those moments. Corpsy is recently arrived if you noticed. We shall remain nice and kind to him.

Kind regards to all of your folks for teaching me.
Jaki

Jaki,

There is never a replacement for honest critique. Rude is just rude even if there is
observation. Knowledge would have been an asset in comments on this picture. I
knew the pile wasmine debris of some sort and just a knowing a littleof South Africa,
one could make a reasonable guess.

As usual you're a gentlemen and scholar. Becauseyou asked I will consider this
matter closed as far as this post is concerned.

We should all look to you for reason and strength.

"kind regards"
dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:09 PM   #10

If my comments came across as intentionally insulting, I apologize. After I made a critique of what I thought was wrong with it, I second guessed myself and wondered if perhaps it was exactly how Jaki intended to photograph it. Imagining what I would think if I saw this photo in an exhibit, I found the image to have a depressing mood about it and I was just wondering if that was possibly the message Jaki was trying to convey.

So the paragraph that you quoted, Dale, was not what I thought of the quality of the picture, only the mood I felt it was conveying. A picture being depressing is not in and of itself a bad thing, so long as it's intentional. Again, I apologize for any misunderstanding.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote