Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:51 PM   #1

i spent a long time on this one ,my mate pictured with his brooklyn was in fact standing in front of a very boring and bland building the pose was perfect i felt it deserved a more fitting backdrop this is my first attempt at merging 2 different pics. id like to make the pic seem as one what can i do to improve this technique i use photoshop elements any help most welcome cheers for looking
Attached Images

godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:14 PM   #2

for a first time layering, not bad at all, especially with elements.

i personally would have worked on the background layer before the edit (the sky is very

washed out and the colors are, well, kinda blah compared to your mates outfit.)

first of all, upgrade to ps cs or ps cs2, if you can. elements is a stripped down version of

the real thing.

second, don't limit yourself to ps. there are a few different edit/browser software that

are fairly decent (picasa2, it's free) some have trial versions.

third, keep on shooting!

scot

hope you don't mind if i played with it a bit to make the layers blen better.

Attached Images

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:30 PM   #3

thanks for your comments es crawford im more of an illustrator cs man and im fairly new to photoshop ill try different software packages and play around with them spose its all about experimentation once again cheers for your valued comments
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:48 PM   #4

The prospective is not right. Looks odd like he's standing in a hole or the bike is
floating. The two images just don't match. The background picture is lacking
contrast.

However the the edit itself looks pretty good. So if you saved your cut out maybe try it again on a different picture.

Good job for a first attempt.

dale

PS: I'm just getting into Illustrator so I know who to talk to now when I run into problems.
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:18 AM   #5

You did a great job of separating your mate from his background. I agree with the others that this new background is not quiet right, the angle and color is a bit off, so you could find a new one or try to play with this one and force the fit a little more. One thing that often helps when blending subjects is if a little of the background obscures part of the new subject. You have a little of this on the front wheel, but imagine a branch or rock covering some of the tire, or foot, it helps trick the mind into believing the subject is really there. De-emphasize the spokes as well will draw the eye there less, areas that show light reflection off the bike remind us that the background is not right as the day seems overcast, and sun is over that hill.

The fact this was done in elements, my hat is off to you, you have less tools to get this done than with Photoshop yet you executed well. For a first attempt you should feel proud.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:31 AM   #6

WOW thanks for all your comments and tips im getting the idea that elements is not a full version of photoshop i do have version 5 (ancient) but never played on it much im thinking that the woodland scene is not working but im not sure what to replace it with im working on a similar photo of the wife changing the background to something else but having fun with the hair once again cheers
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:11 PM   #7

What steps did you use to remove the old background out in elements.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:37 PM   #8

i used the eraser for all of the background including between the spokes took around 3hrs to do iam trying to find afaster way if there is one you can use the magic wand but its not as acurate
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:36 PM   #9

That patience must come from using illustrator LOL (I like illustrator but it can drive me nuts at times). Well with full photoshop you have several more thechniques available especially for finer details, but the biggest saver would be the mask. Masking lets you paint out detail, anythig painted black in the mask area becomes transparent, anything white opaque. So if you slip on an edge just swap colors and paint it back in, not to mention being able to blur the mask to soften edges, or use lower opacity brushes or greys to make semi transparent areas of the mask to only slightly remove or add details.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote