Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:30 AM   #1

took this a while ago i have seen on other members pics of water or waterfalls the water is blurry to give an illusion of movement. does anyone know what settings to set camera to i have an pentax optio s5i cheers for looking
Attached Images

godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:46 AM   #2

well, i'm not sure... some point and shoot cams have an icon setting that sort of looks like a lowercase letter "b" that has fallen over. this setting has a slower shutter speed and does the trick. If you have manual settings, just make the shutter speed a bit slower and close up the apperature a bit to compensate.

At least...thats how i do it.
Attached Images

Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:39 AM   #3

cheers for the tip the effect in your pic is what im trying to achieve ill have aplay in the settings and see what my camera is capable of thanks for looking
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:35 PM   #4

u need as long a exposure as u can get out of your camera

and u will need a tripod, if u cant get control over the shutter speed then all u can do is go back to the scene when its darker

slower the speed more the blur, if camera will let u either take control of aperture of shutter speed u can do something about it.

higher the aperture the less light arriving in camera so camera slows speed to get correct exposure
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:52 PM   #5

here's an example shot at just over 1/2 second shutter speed, with aperture at f8. that's about the absolute minimum required to produce the effect you're after... even longer exposures - a full second or more - will give you even more of the cottony, blurry motion effect. but since you can't control the aperture or shutter speed on your camera, the only real way to get the slower shutter speed is to try the shot under darker conditions, as Reanimator mentioned... if you can disable the flash!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:51 AM   #6

here is one i took to test new camera

8 second exposure at f22..... u need there to be no wind with a time like that

Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7

It's true...you need a slower shutter speed as everyone's mentioned and definitely a tripod. The best thing to do is read your manual on your camera as it should tell you how to change settings to shoot in manual if it's possible with your camera. I'm not familiar with Pentax butI've noticed that even a lot of newerpoint and shoot cameras have a manual mode so that you can be creative by setting your own aperture and shutter speed. Trial and error are the best teachers! :-)Have fun!!

~~StitchBabe~~

:crazy:
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:34 AM   #8

i think i have figured it out, the only way to reduce the speed of the shutter is to have it on night mode in low light conditions and hold your finger over the sensor at the front of the camera it makes the camera think it is pitch black thus keeping the shutter open for the maximum time which is 4 secs i shall be experimenting this as soon as i can get out up to the hills
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:32 AM   #9

that way may let too much light in :-(

a way u can slow down things is to get a neutral density filter if your camera takes filters, these cut down the amount of light let through

its hard to be creative with a camera that dont have a manual setting

oh by the way the sensor u are covering could just be the infra red one for remote control as the ccd chip sorts out exposure via the lens (i think)
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:36 PM   #10

i think you may be right reanimator about the sensor. not sure about attachment filters for my camera, spose compacts are really for point and shoot ill battle on with it cheers