Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:44 AM   #1

around 2 pm in the afternoon at the beach

if you have any thoughts or critiques please let me know. i'm trying to get better at this.

thanks... bert

berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2

This is a nice capture, and with a little work can be made into a keeper. This kind of shot is tough to expose because you have the dark shadows and the bright highlights beyond. You will almost always lose one or the other. as the camera doesn't have enough dynamic range to capture both. In this case the foliage and shadows are underexposed. I used the levels command in Photoshop to bring the shadows up a bit for more detail. Many programs have this feature so you don't need Photoshop. I did a slightly tighter crop as I thought it helped balance the tree out better on the right, and I felt there was a little too much green space on the top of the image. You could play with the color a bit too, adding a yellowish cast to it for warmer colors, but that's up to you. Just remember, what some may suggest may not look good to you so take all comments with a grain of salt.

Gipper
Attached Images

gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:38 PM   #3

gipper, the object of a landscape photo is to create a scene that tells a story or conveys an emotion. thats what i tried to do with this. to keep it as natural as when i shot it with minimal editing.

the idea is that i am under the shade and looking out. if i light up the shade the photo will look unnatural as is the case with your editing.
also you overcropped it and made the photo too yelloish. which is not what i would call natural.

thanks for your comments.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:58 PM   #4
Super Moderator

its very pretty, but you went overboard on the framing..

take a step forward and only use the outside edges of the branches and rocksto frame your shot.. the exposure will be more even and you will see more of the ocean..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote