Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:34 PM   #1

hi again please check this photo out, if you are wondering what my grand daughter is wearing its

an apron, she was using paints, and she gets quite messy.

Alex
Attached Images

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:00 PM   #2

The kids are cute and the pose is nice. I like the tousled hair and apron - they are kids, not models and it makes it more natural.

From a critique side of things ( and I have to add the disclaimer that I haven't tried portrait photography yet so I have limited insight and less right to say much), it would be nice to have a bit more oblique lighting, rather than straight on flash - it would add depth to their faces. It seems that your granddaughter is a bit further back than your grandson, so given a shallow DOF, her focus is a bit soft. Moving her face into the same plane as his would sharpen her image.

(Being nit picky, I also wonder if you took several shots and they were posing for a while - maybe it's his normal smile, but it seems that his upper lip was getting tired and he is starting to curl it in.)

Still one that would look nice on wall.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:04 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i rather like the subtle desaturated look to this one.. it draws attention to the eyes and smiles....

did you add any blurring to this shot (look at girls fingers on his shoulder), or soften it somehow? it seems to be a bit soft throughout.. which i rather like if you meant to do it, if you didnt well, i still like it..

its a good spur of the moment portrait.. and judged as thus, i like it..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:21 PM   #4

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
did you add any blurring to this shot (look at girls fingers on his shoulder), or soften it somehow? it seems to be a bit soft throughout.. which i rather like if you meant to do it, if you didnt well, i still like it..

its a good spur of the moment portrait.. and judged as thus, i like it..

-dustin
Of course he did it on purpose....

It is nice isn't it... Not the run-of-the-mill picture. The B&W un-dates it.

Pleasant and friendly.

dale

PS:Sure there's a word un-date.... Really... Yeah... Kinda....

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:05 AM   #5

hi once again thanks for your views. Yes i did add blur and tried to soften it, now you said i can notice the fingers on jessica's hand, and it was spur of the moment james came into the kitchen and jess just caught hold of james, james does not like to smile for the camera he thinks he's got a lopsided mouth. I was just messing with the camera trying to get jess to pose, still got a lot to learn about thecamera. great comments thanks.

Alex
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:31 AM   #6

Hey Alex...very nice image indeed! The obvious closeness of these two and their smiles are priceless!! Tell James he has the most gorgeous smile ever! He'll have those girls melting with a smile like that!!!

~~StitchBabe~~

:crazy:
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote