Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:50 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
thatsanicepicture2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 859
Default

Whatever you say squirl.

dale


Attached Images
 
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:52 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
thatsanicepicture2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 859
Default

I've made a few calenders in my day.

dale


Attached Images
 
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:30 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Hey guys... :PI hope I haven't started an argument between you guys! I'll take the guilt if I have..... blame meinstead! :blah:



My calendar style is a bit like the 2nd one dale suggests, but indeed I do have a bit of white space around the photo (as it's a "thankyou" / fundraising calendar" - and has a title and description of Romania..,,)So it's not quite 100% professional quality, but then again the people I send it to don't expect it to be! They maybe even like the "home made" / personal touch, and many people do compliment on the photos I choose!

Also I don't have a "full bleed" printer (is this the correct term... meaning going right to the edge of the paper...) It's an old inkjet, but produces quite good image quality using one photo and one colour cartridge for "6 colour printing".

Well, thanks for your help you BOTH were useful! (so let's all shake hands and make up!!) :| All the best, Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:20 PM   #14
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

as a picture i prefer the panorama like crop that was suggested over the others.. whether or not this works for a calendar, well, i am just going to stay out of that argument...

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:31 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
thatsanicepicture2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 859
Default

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
My calendar style is a bit like the 2nd one dale suggests, but indeed I do have a bit of white space around the photo (as it's a "thankyou" / fundraising calendar" - and has a title and description of Romania..,,)So it's not quite 100% professional quality, but then again the people I send it to don't expect it to be! They maybe even like the "home made" / personal touch, and many people do compliment on the photos I choose!up!!) :| All the best, Paul
Paul,

Don't worry... Me and da squril get along fine. The point is any picture can be made into a calender.

The calender i did there looks like it's right on the edge but if you printed it, there would be a border. I use an CorelDraw and when i export to jpg it only exports the objects not the whole page. Had I thought ofit Icould have simply placed a border on it to show the page.(sorry) The problem you going to run into is different aspect ratios. So if you do a picture with a different dimensions you have to re-design the page.It's easy to do. Do you have a layout program like Illustrator / CorelDraw?


dale


thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:40 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Greetings Dustin,

Yes I agree with your point. I'm so stupid as I know the rule of thirds, but silly me just didn't try it ... but I felt the original photo just didn't look good (for some reason).

Peace

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:44 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Paul,

Don't worry... Me and da squril get along fine. The point is any picture can be made into a calender.

The calender i did there looks like it's right on the edge but if you printed it, there would be a border. I use an CorelDraw and when i export to jpg it only exports the objects not the whole page. Had I thought ofit Icould have simply placed a border on it to show the page. (sorry) The problem you going to run into is different aspect ratios. So if you do a picture with a different dimensions you have to re-design the page.It's easy to do. Do you have a layout program like Illustrator / CorelDraw?


dale

Dale, OK, I'm glad to hear U & da squirl get along fine! Phew! :?

Yes, actually I do resize the calendar for different photo aspect ratios. I use Microsoft Publisher (please don't cringe) using some templates I created a few years ago. And yes, so when I use a "more portrait" style I use the appropriate template. But usually I use a standard landscape aspect ratio photo.

Never used a panaroma aspect ratio before, but yes it seems to work ok! Maybe I could send (attach) a pdf format of a sample calendar to show you.... I'll try below

Thanks for looking and your words,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:53 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Here I am adding a sample of a calendar in PDF format (zipped). Hope that gives you some idea. Please respect it as copy right, even if it is not such a professional design. Thanks and best wishes to you all, from Paul


Attached Files
File Type: zip Calendar 2006 Bumble Bee Sunflower.zip (147.2 KB, 23 views)
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:14 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
thatsanicepicture2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 859
Default

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Here I am adding a sample of a calendar in PDF format (zipped).
I got it... Thisgives me a chance to use my new Adobe Acrobat Professional.
It's perfect ! You're doing a great job.

My wife wanted it already. So i printed it out. Thanks

dale


thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:46 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Dale, glad to hear you and your wife liked it (even if part of the output PDF wasn't formatted correctly with borders...) I might upload a better version later..

kind regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:34 AM.