Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:01 AM   #1

Hi all! And hoping these first daysof 2006 have started off well for you all. At the end of December I took this photo at a partially frozen lake - at 18mm on my Canon Digital Rebel XT / 350D with the kit lens.

I liked the distant hillside reflection in the lake, clear sky reflection and clouds reflection also. I'm thinking of using this as a photo for a "thank you calendar" I hope to send off soon (yes a 2006 calendar A4 size showing 12 months ... a bit late I know...) to supporters of the charity in Romania I work for. Don't worry I had already sent Christmas / New Year's greetings by email.. The calendar will be a special thanks to just a few supporters by post.

But I couldn't decide if the original photo (below) OR a crop of the same photo (next post) looked better. The 18mm perspective gives a more "big sky" feeling, but the crop I made highlights the "hill reflection" better (closer up). I honestly can't decide. So I'd like your input / thoughts. That will help me decide in the next few days or week or so which photo to use for the calendar, thanks! The photo will be about half of the A4 page.

So please tell me your personal opinions! I'm keen to hear what you think!

Thanks, Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:05 AM   #2

And here is the cropped version of the photo

(both have been resized to the same resolution for web upload here on this forum).

I look forward to hearing your thoughts as to which photo you prefer and why.

Thanks and wishing you all the best, Paul
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:16 AM   #3

.... And I decided here is a THIRD option. This one I zoomed in to 34mm on the lens. So now you have some work cut out for you. Which one of these 3 photos is best for the calendar, and why!

Awaiting your critiques, Thanks! Paul
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:02 AM   #4

I think your going the wrong way on your crops. You want the take the land meets lake out from the middle of the picture.( Rule of thirds} You could go either way but i think crop out a little of the lake and give the picture a "Panno" look and feel.

The lens flare and power lines have got to go too.

Here's an edit but but i know you can do a lotbetter on the original.

dale

PS: A little USM too.
Attached Images

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:36 AM   #5

i don't think the panoramic crop would work well on a calendar, but that lens flare definitely detracts from the image. since you're going to crop anyway, take that out.

i'm not fond of the #2 image - it just seems too symmetrical, with the valley between the hills right in the middle. i think i'd use your 3rd option, but with less sky and more water... shift it a little more to the right, but not enough to get that tower in the frame, and put the shoreline just above the horizontal midpoint of the picture...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:38 AM   #6

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
I think your going the wrong way on your crops. You want the take the land meets lake out from the middle of the picture.( Rule of thirds} You could go either way but i think crop out a little of the lake and give the picture a "Panno" look and feel.

The lens flare and power lines have got to go too.

Here's an edit but but i know you can do a lotbetter on the original.

dale

PS: A little USM too.

Hi "thatsanicepicture"...

I appreciate your comments. Generally I DO try to use the rule of thirds, but I didn't know it also applied for the lake / reflection type of photos. But after seeing your edit I agree, it's much better. AND also ... OK, I concede... lens flare should go. (even if I sort of like ina sad way my new camera's ability to have some interesting lens flare.... as opposed to my previous Point n shoot.

Can you fill me in, what is a "Panno" look and feel.. .short for "panorama?"

Your advice was very helpful, thanks!

So I'll do as you suggest - do the similar crop on the full size original and see how it looks. In the meantime I'll see if other people have other thoughts / suggestions.

So, more comments anyone or advice for me......?

Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:47 AM   #7

Hi Squirl033! I see your post came in while I was writing a reply to thatsanicepicture2's comment...

I appreciate your thoughts too. (Thanks!) Understandable about symmetry taking away from the natural balance that it could be... also from the rule of thirds too....

So below is what I think you mean with the 3rd option crop you suggest... I'm not sure what you mean by: "shift it a little more to the right, but not enough to get that tower in the frame"... Do you mean I should crop OUT the left part of the photo and the sky (leaving basically the bottom right part of the photo as final version?)

If so, then how can I do that to not get that tower in the frame. Sorry maybe I'm stupid but I'm not sure I understand you exactly. But anyhow, here is what I understand you might suggest. Let me know what you think!......:?
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:03 AM   #8

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i don't think the panoramic crop would work well on a calendar,
HUH ! ! !

Surely you jest.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 3:17 PM   #9

Actually the crop does look all right (I did a test run!) if I space the months and heading / text accordingly! Thanks for your comments, all.

More feedback / thoughts welcome...
Old Jan 13, 2006, 3:54 PM   #10

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i don't think the panoramic crop would work well on a calendar,
HUH ! ! !

Surely you jest.

dale
no jest. consider: the typical calendar format islaid out for an 8.5x11(or similarly proportioned) sheet, with the image displayed horizontally. a wide pano doesn't fit that, and would produce a smaller image with a lot of blank paper at the top and bottom. if you don't mind the blank space, that's fine, but personally, i don't care for it, and would rather use an image that fits the proportions of the page.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote