Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:56 PM   #11
Super Moderator

the title is cut off on the top when i view it and so are the sides of the boxes of the months... probably due to a formatting issue when you converted to PDF..

but it looks really nice.. your audience should really enjoy these..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:22 PM   #12

okay, here goes...

# 1 is a nice composition, lots of color, but seems a bit underexposed and too soft. perhaps you could brighten it up a bit, but i'm not sure you can fix the soft focus/DOF on this one. for best effect, the bee and the flower it's on should be crystal clear, while the flowers in back remain blurry...

#2 - definitely lose the contrail. also, for my taste this needs a bit more contrast, and perhaps a touch of sharpening. aside from that, it's a very nice scenic.

#3 -i like the castle, but the whole image seems to have a bit of a yellow cast to it... like maybe the white balance was off a bit? you can probably correct that in PP...

#4 - if you were 10 hours' walk from the nearest civilization, it must've been a long, dark trek home!:O this one might've been better, and enhanced the sense of isolation, if you'd shot from a bit more to the right, so the cabin wasn't visible. just the cross, the sky, and the view of the valley below...also, a polarizer would have helped with this one. i agree, the cross doesn't necessarily need to be straight... very rarely are such handmade monuments perfectly perpendicular, especially the ones you find way back in the hills...

of the four, i think #1 has the most potential... butany ofthese will make a nice calendar, no matter which one you pick.

i took the liberty of tweaking # 1 a bit... a little brighter, a touch of sharpening, and a quick pass through Neat Image. it seems to have a bit more 'pop', and the DOF looks - to me at least - more like what you'd be after in a shot like this...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:37 PM   #13

Dustin, yes that's exactly what happened.... I forgot to minimise the margins when setting the output options for the PDF file..

Thanks again for your valued comments.

(PS I was too lazy at about 1:00am to go back and correct the PDF file after I noticed it, as I already had uploaded it!)

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:43 PM   #14

Hi Squirl!

I value your constructive remarks also. My thoughts on your thoughts.

# 1 So are you saying that I somehow should have used a higher F value (aperature)... because the depth of field doesn't cover the flower the bee is on? You're right, for printing I actually brighten the image for more "pop" value!

#2 OK, I'll think about a bit more contrast and perhaps that touch of sharpening... thanks

#3 I agree, slightly too much yellow cast. I'll try to correct in PP.

#4 Yes, while I was 10 hours' walk from nearest civilization - I didn't go home the same day (it was a 3 day / 2 night hike)! Actually though, you're still right because the next day we climbed a mountain peak and only ended up back at the car after an hour walk in the dark (along a rural road, thankfully!) Yes, I was wondering whether to include the cabin or not... Actually I have another shot of the cross without the cabin but it doesn't have the same balance / scenic background. I don't have a polarizer yet...

Thanks for your tweaks to # 1 ... nice job!!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:58 PM   #15

i think for #1 i'd have tried using a bit smaller aperture, just to make sure i had enough DOF, since it appears the flowers in the background are far enough away to remain out of focus... and since this was shot at f2.8 (probably due to what looks like relatively poor light), you've got a very shallow DOF to work with.mainly, it seemed to needjust a bit of sharpness, though, and i think you can fix that up in PP easily enough.

the whole idea with showing justthe cross by itself is that it creates a sense of mystery, and leads the viewer to wonder, why is that cross out there in the wilderness? who put it there? what's the story behind it?

i hope you don'tmind... i ran the cow pic through Photoshop and adjusted the color balance a bit, it seems a bit morenatural now...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:01 AM   #16

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Dale!

Regarding your comments / questions. And yes, the cross wasn't "square", but actually I'm quite sure in real life it was rather tilted (typical Romanian "slap-happy" construction here.. :-)). Yes, maybe there was a bit of lens "distortion" too.. but I'm quite sure it wasn't totally straight. But you're right.. for the photo it looks better standing up straight!! How do you tilt it (suggest whole picture... but then maybe the trees / small house might be out?)

Paul

Paul,

OK... To put the cross straight... I cheated... I have PS cs2 on my computer but it's new and I used CorelPaint. They do the same stuff but wow are they different! I thought they would be more alike. Anyhow. In CorelPaint i just made a new layer and if you click the layer more then once there is a skew handle and i just pulled it over. Cloned the clouds and the mountains on the far left to correct a slight difference.

In PS i know there is a skew command and played with it the other day. But I would rather someone with a lot more experience in PS Dustin orsquirl tell you how to do it there.

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:16 AM   #17

Hello pj1974! I hope this can be of some help to you, I use this free program from Google to straighten all my photos, it is super easy and even has grid lines to make sure your horizons are level. Very nice useful program!!

http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Bob H.

bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:45 PM   #18

Hey Squirl...

thanks for explaining this to me... It's clear now. Indeed it was relatively poor light from memory.... sort of near the side of a road under some trees, no direct sunlight or enough sun reflection. I'll try to give it a go of sharpening in PP (though I'm not a PP expert...)

Yes, the cross by itself (maybe more so if I reframed the photo without the cabin) is a bit of a "mystery item"... it's a part of typical Romanian orthodoxthinking / practise. I can answer the general questions about that... but maybe better left a nice mystery or "guess"...

I certainly don't mind that you ran the cow pic through Photoshop adjusting the color balance a bit, etc. I agree you've got a more natural outcome! Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:48 PM   #19

G'day Dale (as the Australian in me still says!)

Thanks for explaining how you "put the cross straight". Interesting. I also have photoshop on my computer but I'm not a very accomplished "photoshopper"... yet. Interesting how you could do it so easily with CorelPaint too!

You did a good job of that, also correcting the clouds / mountains!

Skew command... I'll have to look that up in the help of PS I have to see... (I used to have a very early version of CorelDraw years before...)

Thanks again

Paul
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:51 PM   #20

Greetings Bob! (my first post to you I think!)

Thanks for your time and kind offer of help.... That's cool there is a free program from Good to do things like straigthening photos... Google offers many good things! :-)

So when it's not such an unearthly hour.. (it's 23:49 now and I've just got back from a being away all day (15 hours) as a staff member at a conference for recovered alcoholics, put on the by charity / mission organisation in Romania I work for.

So I'll look this link up soon.
http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Again, many thanks!

Paul