Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:43 PM   #1

Greetings everyone! I've chosen 5 photos for calendars I'm making. Here are 4 of them... and I'd appreciate your thoughts / comments (see my previously postedthread / topic entitled "to crop or not to crop" for the 5th one... a lake reflection landscape one).

So I would like those of you with enough time on yours hands and who have useful critiques to tell me the following:

1. Any general comments about the photos (e.g. exposure, colour balance, focus, framing, etc)

2. If you would choose a favourite photo for a CALENDAR, which one would it be and why....

3.Any other general comments you might like to add. (e.g. if any of the photos you might think are unsuitable, etc)

Looking forward to your feedback!! Below are the 4 photos. Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:46 PM   #2

1. Believe it or not, this photo was taken at a place called "Bucsin"... so that makes a great "B" alliteration Title.... (Busy Bumble Bee at Bucin!)
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:48 PM   #3

2. A spring time shot of a mountain / camping site I often visit! It is about 45 minutes away from where my fiance lives, but about 5 and a half hours away from where I live!

Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:51 PM   #4

3. This 400-odd year old castle is in a remote village. We house a rehabilitation centre (alcohol / drug therapy centre) in a200 year old granary previously "serving" the castle estate (granary about 200m from this castle, on the same property). Also on the property is a farm (hence the cows) for income and work therapy / training for the recovering addicts.
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:53 PM   #5

4. This photo is from a weekend mountain walk / hike I went on with a few friends in September, it was GLORIOUS weather all weekend. Sunny but not too hot, clear skies, etc. Note the typical orthodox cross... and this was about 10 hours walk from the nearest civilisation (e.g. road / village, etc).
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:09 PM   #6

This is going to be a beautiful calender ! ! ! You have some very nice pictures.

The two things i noticed right off is the jet con trail in picture #2. All natural would be nice so you may want to get rid of it.

And the last one the cross is tilted I did a quick adjustment but it needs a tad more if my eyes see it right.

These are all great pictures. How many are going to be used. 12?... 1?

dale

Attached Images

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:22 PM   #7
Super Moderator

its a good set.. i would like to see a bit more depth of field in #1, but it should work out alrigth for you..

2 and 3 are my favorite, very pleasing images that will look good on acalendar..

4 works too, not quite as well as 2 and 3 but will look nice nevertheless..

nice work
-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:29 PM   #8

Thanks for the quick reply Dale!

Regarding your comments / questions.

I agree, "100% natural" is best, so yes, getting rid of the jet stream is good (cheers!)

And yes, the cross wasn't "square", but actually I'm quite sure in real life it was rather tilted (typical Romanian "slap-happy" construction here.. :-)). Yes, maybe there was a bit of lens "distortion" too.. but I'm quite sure it wasn't totally straight. But you're right.. for the photo it looks better standing up straight!! How do you tilt it (suggest whole picture... but then maybe the trees / small house might be out?)

I'm making a selection of calendars... so I will send different people the one I think they'll appreciate most. (5 calendars, probably printing about 10 or 20 of each of the them). They are in the format of "whole year to a view" asI mentioned in the other thread / topic (to crop or not to crop). That way they are light enough to post cheaply (on glossy card) and can be hung up on wall and won't break my inkjet ink / cartridge budget!

I usually don't print many of my photos (less than 0.5% I'd say!) I normally keep my photos in digital format showing and using by laptop / data projector for presentations, thank-you's to supporters, churches, etc. Or I make CD's of them and send to people, or send by email to magazines who usethem. Just occasionally I do cards, photo prints or these calendars.

Take care and best wishes,

Paul

Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:36 PM   #9

Thanks Dustin for your generous reply also!

I respect your skills a lot and really learn a lot from what you write to other people on these forums, so thanks!

Yes, I was wondering if anyone was going to write about the depth of field of #1. So I'll try to improve on it next time..

And interesting you chose 2 and 3, I would have thought maybe you'd prefer 4 to 3. But then again it just shows I don't know you so well, AND photography in a way can be very personal / subjective. So also thanks for your kind comments on these photos.

Also wishing you and the lovely lady (in your picture) all the best for 2006! Keep up with your very helpful comments.

Paul
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:50 PM   #10

Here I am adding a sample of a calendar in PDF format (zipped). Hope that gives you some idea. Please respect it as copy right, even if it is not such a professional design. Thanks and best wishes to you all, from Paul
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calendar 2006 Bumble Bee Sunflower.zip (147.2 KB, 53 views)