Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 16, 2006, 2:43 AM   #11

Hi Dustin!

These are indeed great shots of a fantastic duck. (I agree the duck seems to know it's a handsome one itself!)

You have done a good job working together with a good lens - fora very satisfactory (understatement!) outcome!

The water looks maybe a bit too "silky / mercury-like" if you know what I mean.... (that's just my subjective opinion, and I'm not sure if that's what Jules meant in her post and what you were referring to as well when you replied to that...)

But otherwise these two photos are great. I wish you all the best with your school competition. I think these two photos compliment each other as one the duck is on the rocks (no pun intended) and the other it is in the water. Let us know how you go.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:25 AM   #12

Everything's been said already - that first shot is great, make a good 'waterfowl series' place mat, although the water doesn't do much for me.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:40 AM   #13

Great shots as you know dustin, Hows about sharing with us newbies, some tips and tricks that'll hopefully get us taking really good photos like this.

Regards,

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:01 AM   #14

Absolutely Stunning. Critiques of these photographs in my book would be invalid. I view allot of wildlife shots in National Geo and others and have never seen better photographs of the American WoodDuck. Great Shots.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:22 AM   #15

Wow, Dustin. Those shots are fantastic. I actually like the cool watery mercurious effect, too. Good stuff!
Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:50 AM   #16
Super Moderator

thank you everyone for all the kind words..all comments are always appreciated..the winter is a great time to work on wildlife photos as most animals have all of their fur or feathers for insulation so they just look better, and landscapes and other nature photography is not as well suited for the winter..

funny you should mention magazines jim, i actually looked into submitting to ducks unlimited these and some others, as they offer a open submission policy, so they keep your pics on file and use them if they ever need them.. but they are STILL taking only transparencies... which seems rather odd, since wildlife photogs were one of the first to switch to digital for the longer reach with the crop factors and the cropping abilities..

Syd, you mentioned tips and tricks.. Well, there are no tricks, but for tips on wildlife.. i would say the biggest advice i can give is be patient.. don't just see an animal and shoot it right away.. watch it for a while, learn its habits, and consider what kind of "pose" you are looking for.. by studying his habits, you can learn to anticipate what will be done next and that will give you a better chance of getting a good pose.. for example, for the first woodduck shot, i watched him and snapped off a few shots here and there for 25-30 minutes.. the other advice i can give is get the longest lens you can find.. 400mm is even a bit short for me sometimes.. and use a monopod or tripod unless you have image stabilization.. even then i use every make shift rest i can fine, such as trees, fences etc to rest on..

thanks again!
-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:22 PM   #17

Great photos of a handsome creature. Good work.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:41 AM   #18

Nice photos with beautifull subject...my complain it's about the lack of life. They look too much like porcelain dools.
mad_grll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:57 AM   #19
Super Moderator

thanks andrew.. always appreciate your input..

do you have these ducks over there? because they are so colorful they even look painted in real life..

-dustin

here is one with "more life", though its not as good of photo..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:29 AM   #20

Really wooden ducks...awesome colors...with the proper light i supose. But i don't know what 2 say.....the last one it has more life indeed and with the proper croop (i think in this case you could fill the entire frame with them)...and with a nicier selective sharpening and more blurr in some zones this one could be awesome

Cheers man
mad_grll is offline   Reply With Quote