Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:59 PM   #11

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i am not a fan of this one at all.. the cropping is awkward and its WAY too soft.. also, the expression is not flattering.. sorry to be harsh, but this one really had me wondering why it was posted..

-dustin
Mike,

What is it you want to hear? This is critiques... I just can't see anything here that
would make a person want to have other people look at it. It does have good bokeh but unfortunately it begins with her left eye.

Just recently I got Dustin to tell how much planning, effort and PP went into a post. None of that is here. you just found a picture and put it up. You have to have
known this wasn't a picture for here.

It's not that you shouldn't post... It's you should take what you've learned and
apply it. Then critique it yourself before posting it. You've done some real good
pictures. Do more.

dale

PS: Yes Mike I know you're not talking to me...{ignoring my post} Because I asked
you to do better you've been mad at me for a month. You shouldn't me mad at
someone that said, 'You can do better'

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:22 PM   #12

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:02 PM   #13

i'm not looking for every picture i make to become world famous and perfect in it's execution. most of what i produce appeals mainly to me and i'm fine with this, as of now i'm not professional and have no clients to satisfy in order to put food on my table. i have no problem with my photo not appealing to anyone here, i simply was wondering if it did. every photograph i post here is different, i feel, and has different purposes and reasons for my appreciation of it. whether that appreciation resides in the rest of you is not for me to decide or criticise. i appreciate your feedback as it lets me learn more about how you all function and respond to photographs. i find you each have your individual styles as well as i and it's interesting to see what happens when we meld our styles together, and the connection or lack there of that exists between each of our photos and the rest of the members of this forum is fantastic. my style of photography doesn't rest on getting everything down to a T or a perfect science, but when i post here i get a lot out of the feedback and take it into consideration the next time i shoot. thanks for the comments as i am always the first one willing to converse about ideas and philosophies.

i guess what it boils down to is each of our expectations/beliefs of what a good photograph is and should be.
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:59 AM   #14

I could say that personally this photograph doesn't work for me, leave it at that and be everyone's friend.

In truth however I am in agreement with Dustin. Anyway whats the problem he did after all apologise for the for the self admitted harsh words, more than what you would have got in many other sites or photographic avenues - believe me.

Considering a genuine critique I don't particularly thinkit washarsh. The bottom line is that we all require rather thick skins in this sport. Especially if we step up to the mark and pursue critical opinion, which in itself should be praised as the best way to learn after all.

Unless this example has a specific location/purpose in which it will be fittedinto, explaining its "oddities" (of which you have not given) generally we can only go on the photographic merits and on its general appeal. In which case Julie was spot on.

Quote:
technically it is unremarkable, as i agree that the crop is awkward and the focus too soft. artistically, this doesn't speak to me...
I wouldn't want to look at it again. This is generally of course my own personal gauge.

However in saying that
Quote:
i guess what it boils down to is each of our expectations/beliefs of what a good photograph is and should be.
I think you'd be surprised as to how closemost photographers are, inreaction towhat makes a good image.

Anyway Mike, seeing as you post much more winners than losers on these pages, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You have plenty credit in the bank.

LB.

oh ps. Happy New Year Everyone.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:28 AM   #15

Mike

I haven't read what's been said here (will do that when I' ve got a spare weekend:G) - but I think the B&W is a nice candid shot, that very obviosly captures a moment.

I think it's a great fun shot, butyoushould take that from whence it comes!

PS - pity you cut the top of the head off
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:26 PM   #16

thanks for the comments, even the harsh ones because any feedback is better than no feedback. Syds response is what i would love for all my photographs to do and when one does its a cool thing. i feel emotion is a large part of my photography but realizing that my emotions and connotations of the photograph do not always reside in the viewer. whenever they do however it's a cool thing. either way, i appreciate the comments and look forward to posting more stuff that's better composed i suppose, more like the work that has built up my, in Lboys words, "credit in the bank". lol.
glad to see you've returned Lboy i was missing your critiques/comments and panoramics as well.

-mike j-
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:10 PM   #17

Its a fine photo for these reasons:

It seems to capture her personality a bit (at least, i would guess so), and candid snap shots are for just that as far as I'm concerned...remembering how a person was at a certain time.

Technically:

The top of the head is a bit distracting, and the focus is a little off.
Luxowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:21 PM   #18

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:50 PM   #19
Super Moderator

i'm sorry, i am of the school that you need both the "how" and the "why".. so to speak.. otherwise you just have a badly captured good expression..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:57 PM   #20

I think Syd's comment alludes to why you put it up. It reminds him of an old girlfriend and I suspect the expression/look really reminds you/your brotherabout something you like about her. The purpose of the post can be seen as trying to determine if the photo evokes some emotion on it's own, or does the viewer have to know the subject through more than the photo to evoke something.

In that, I think it's a great use of the forum. We all have photos that we really like - occassionally it's hard to know if we like them on their own merit or for the memories they bring back.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote