Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:22 PM   #31

i have no intentions to stop shooting tom, don't think that. i don't take these comments personally i find it interesting and a learning experience. thanks for jumping into the mire and adding your point of view tom, we can always use another angle here.
johnsonM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:36 PM   #32

One thing I have learnt about MJ is that he has his own style to which obviously he seems to hold to with the tenacity of a vice. If you have followed MJ on the forum, you will learn that he listens, learns and puts into practice what folks say here though sometimes seemingly hesitantly.

I seem to understand that MJ was no fool posting that photo. For example, I would never post that sort of picture but he did. I also think that he succeeded in the reason why he made that post. Look at all your comments. There is a wealth of knowledge in all things each one of you has said. I doubt that MJ would ignore such information.

Having been on the forum for this long, I have come to learn that some folks appreciate bluntness, others don't. In addition, I have come to learn that folks are honest about their comments and for me that counts most. There are times when I am in this mood but I guess patience, trying to understand the others point of view has always made me accept the comments as benign and with good motive.

Kind regards.

Jaki
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:47 PM   #33
Super Moderator

jaki brings up a good point..

what i like about this forum is i know i can be honest and say what i mean, and someone else may argue with me, but it never gets personal or nasty.. the result, everyone gets to say their opinion without fear or hesitation.. makes for much more interesting reads than a bunch of ppl with broken feelings..

so i guess what i say is its fun to pick on mike because he takes it well and will argue back (even though he is wrong and i am right)..

hehe

-dustin

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:52 PM   #34

lol same to you dustin.
the forum fire needs a good stirrin up every now and again and if i'm the person who's going to do it i'm fine with that. as long as we get some healthy conversation going i'm happy. Jaki nice post, really appreciate your input.
i take my personal style to extremes whether or not it conforms to others definitions of good photography or not, that's why it's my personal style.

on a different note the Rolleiflex is performing great for me and the photos are SOOOO sharp and extremely colorful. the fuju film i'm using (provia 160 color) is working extremely well and i've just got to tweak some of my techniques and i think i'll be able to master it soon enough. gotta get used to it's quirks, just like drivin a car i guess.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:55 PM   #35
Super Moderator

i am looking forward to some square medium format shots!! so get yerself a scanner and show us!! Now!!

hehe
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:03 AM   #36

too expensive man.
i'll have to just sell them to you on ebay with a signed certificate of authenticity.
an original Michael Johnson print.... wonder what they'd go for these days?

Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:11 AM   #37

Can anyone imagine this forum without the likes of Dustin, or MJ, etc, etc. This is what Makes this forum tick. I love Dustin for his honest and straight forward manner. I love MJ for being a risk type personality. How would you make it if you preferred to burry your head in the sand? :-) When we have these tensions, we get to think, to discuss issues with soberness, logic and maturely. I have looked at the other forums and I believe this one - Critigues and Techniques is very lively. Let us continue doing what we are best at. Kind regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:15 AM   #38
Super Moderator

johnsonM86 wrote:
Quote:
too expensive man.
i'll have to just sell them to you on ebay with a signed certificate of authenticity.
an original Michael Johnson print.... wonder what they'd go for these days?

i hope if you plan to sell prints, you actually auction off ones that are INFOCUS

hehehehehe,

couldnt resist on that one.. :blah:
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:55 AM   #39

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:48 AM   #40

Mike,

I think in a way the surprise nature of the cropping adds to the feel of the shot - in a sense it mimicks the girl's expressionandloudly suggeststhespontaneityof the moment.

I have seen a very simlilar shot to this (expression & unusual croppingin B/W) in a Time-Life photo annual, which I'm desperately trying to find (think it was in one of my brother's collection, who isoverseas at the moment). If and when I dolay my hands on itI will post it here to see if it receivessimilarcomment.

As I said earlier in this thread,I think it's a great fun shotwhether it is technically correct or not.

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote